Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Portable gtaw ac/dc

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable gtaw ac/dc

Is there a portable GTAW set-up that welds aluminum onsite, as consistantly as a Dynasty will in the shop?

Originally posted by Electric4Life View Post
    Is there a portable GTAW set-up that welds aluminum onsite, as consistantly as a Dynasty will in the shop?
    YES. The Dynasty 200.

Griff

Comment

Portable gtaw ac/dc

Are you saying a gas powered tig welder?
      The Dynasty 200DX is very portable. One day we may see a Dynasty 280.
      I use my Dynasty 200 and 350 in the field and power it with my 250 Bobcat and a 75' power cord

Comment

I'd like to clarify if the power delivery is smooth and consistant? I've used engine drives similar to the Bobcat 250 in the past with FCAW and it seemed to fluxuate a lot (no pun intended). I realize the two processes are very different however I am worried that while AC TIG welding that the inconsistant power supply could jeopordize arc stability and lead to poor quality.
        I use a Dynasty 700 daily, and it never occured to me that the smaller units would be suitable for onsite applications. Thank You for not raking me over the coals on that one

Comment

Portable gtaw ac/dc

Some one will correct me if I'm wrong. I would think tig welding with an inverter based (auto line) welder would do better than a transformer type, using a power source like the bobcat 250.

Comment

I agree with what's been said, powering a small dynasty through extension cords is probably your best bet. A small bottle of argon or having a dolly makes it that much easier.

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.