Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

IN need of help

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IN need of help

I had just purchased an older Miller syncrowave 180 sd and Iam wondering what settings (neg or pos) Iím using neg. pol. Iím using a greenelectrode. I know amps depend on material thickness for aluminum. Every time Itry and weld the aluminum, it doesnít penetrate leaving a black mark or meltsthe aluminum. Any help at all would be very helpful to me. I had never tigwelded before, only stick and mig Thanks

IN need of help

On aluminum you are using both pos and neg, A/C.

Comment

Set machine to ac for aluminum, dc neg for steel or stainless. I like to use red tungsten (2% thoriated)on everything but green (pure) will work on aluminum. General rule of thumb is 1 amp per 1 thousanth of thickness. So if your welding material that is 1/8" thick (.125") try 125 amps. You have the foot pedal? If so it works like your gas pedal in a car. The more you push it the higher amps/hotter your arc up to whatever the machine is set at. You adjust while welding using your foot. Use 100% argon gas set about 15-20 cfh. Tungsten stickout no more than 1/8" max. When adding filler rod, add to the puddle front. Don't try to melt it with the arc.
      Last edited by MMW; 01-02-2013, 07:51 AM.

Comment

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/TIGhandbook/

Go to the above link to view the tig handbook & also use the resources tab at the top of the page.

Comment

Working...
        X
        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.