Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pipe building tools.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe building tools.

Hi guys, I have a decent shop set up in my garage and im just about at the point where i need to decide what kind of work i want to get into. I was looking at pipe fabrication becuase it seems like the most cost affective route. Just wondering what equiptment i will need for something like that.

I already have:

miller diversion 180 TIG
    miller 375 plasma
    millermatic 175 MIG
    King 7" x 12" band saw
    King drill press
    Dewalt chop saw and cordless/corded drills and 4 1/2" grinder
    30 Tonne shop press.
    60 Gallon air compressor

I have been making some custom performance parts but the cost upfront is killing me and im not really making a lot on them. Also my aluminum TIG is just run of the mill and guys are really expecting high quality welds when doing performance parts.

Selling a lot of stuff on ebay right now so im thinking thats where most of my business is going to come from

Thoughts on equiptment or ideas for me?

thanks

Also if i was to build pipes for transport trucks/custom turbo applications where would i get the dimentions? would i be able to get some sort of drawings for them or would i have to buy pipes and build jigs for them?

Comment

Originally posted by jaden View Post
      Also if i was to build pipes for transport trucks/custom turbo applications where would i get the dimentions? would i be able to get some sort of drawings for them or would i have to buy pipes and build jigs for them?
      What are building ???

Comment

How long have you been a pipe fitter/welder?

Comment

As I understand it you would get a customers truck & work off that to make a prototype. Make a jig from that for future orders.

If your going to be doing at lot of headers & exhaust/intake piping then a good quality belt sander is a good idea.
          Last edited by MMW; 12-31-2012, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post
            As I understand it you would get a customers truck & work off that to make a prototype. Make a jig from that for future orders.

If your going to be doing at lot of headers & exhaust/intake piping then a good quality belt sander is a good idea.

I already have a half decent belt sander i forgot that on my list. I was wondering more about mandrel benders or a Huth pipe expander or baileigh bead roller

Comment

Originally posted by jaden View Post
              I already have a half decent belt sander i forgot that on my list. I was wondering more about mandrel benders or a Huth pipe expander or baileigh bead roller
              i do lot of custom s.s exhaust I got benders and as for mandrel benders u will never make it work getting in to that kinda stuff is not as easy as one thinks since u can buy a full mandrel exhaust system from manga flow or solo or flow master for less then u can make it for just save your money unless u got a shop with a few hoists and a crush / push bender u can make some coin if I can figure out how to post pics I will post a few jobs just might give u some light

Comment

so what tools should i be looking to add? im sure i can make due with elbows on jsut about anything so just a pipe expander and a bead roller?

Comment

pipe tools

If your Doing exhaust yes u well need a expander for your pipe u kinda lost me on what u need a bead roller for ?

Comment

Pipe building tools.

Also everything I do is one solid piece of stainless steel tubing only joints are in and out of muffler or cats

Comment

12'' disc sander is my tool of choice. i have a powermatic 6''x48'' belt with 12'' disc. You would not believe how much you use it when you have it. Great of truing up pipe ends.
                      End grinder and flapper wheels for sure. Another one of those where you wonder how you did without one.
                      There's a lot of tools that are available for every little thing. That's where
                      you need to decide between wants and needs. With tools, you can never have enough ! It's like welding machines, one is not enough !

Comment

Its obvious if you want to bend pipe there is no way around some tools, I have bought tools because they were,,, good to have and I didn't particularly have a big use at the time,,, more of a long term view, I'd that less now, tend to do it with as simple and as generic as I can.

What little I do of that type of thing I usually got some pit stop version, pre bent, make a fitting or 2 if I can even before I drag out the equipment I do have or go to the neighbors but I am general repair,, different game.

If I was going into that field I would get a real clear idea where I was headed with a good plan,,, which includes some brainstorming with a specialty niche, I got a solid idea for it ain't willing to give it up for free here. I might veer a bit off track to follow ssuccesscess if it led that way but would have a real fundamental strategy that a banker could really wrap his mind around.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.