Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minimum Voltage Setting - Miller 211 MVP

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum Voltage Setting - Miller 211 MVP

Miller 211 MVP specs = 150 Amps at 23.5 VDC, 30% duty cycle (230 V).

Does anyone know what the minimum DC voltage (at 230 volts) is on this machine?

In other words what voltage does the increment '1' on the voltage dial equal?

Hook a DMM up to it and strike an arc..........

Comment

Miller says its ~17v

Comment

Originally posted by Thrutraffic View Post
        Miller says its ~17v
        17 vdc is more than likely the open circuit voltage (OCV) value for that dial setting.

Under a load, it's probably going to drop down to at least the 15 -16 VDC , and possibly even lower.

Understand, depending on the wire diameter and shielding gas mix being used, some of the lower range of the voltage dial may not even be usable.
        Last edited by Danny; 01-15-2013, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Just going by the response I got in email from Miller. I only asked them what was the voltage when the dial was at its lowest setting. You're probably right that that changes once you strike an arc. Hopefully though they engineered it to compensate for load in the control circuitry.

Comment

My millermatic 251 will go as low as 14 volts. On the display it will show the actual welding voltage for 5 seconds after striking an arc. The lowest I have seen is 14.1v. That was with the setting at 14v and running .035 wire with c25 gas. I don't remember wfs, maybe 150-180ipm? I was successfully welding 18ga in the 3g position.

Comment

Just curious , how come you want to know?

Comment

Originally posted by Thrutraffic View Post
                Just going by the response I got in email from Miller. I only asked them what was the voltage when the dial was at its lowest setting. You're probably right that that changes once you strike an arc. Hopefully though they engineered it to compensate for load in the control circuitry.
                Doubtful, they've only been doing this for a few years

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.