Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rusty pipe flange. Need to separate

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty pipe flange. Need to separate

I'm trying to redo the pipe on my exhaust for my truck. In order to take only the section off I need welded, there's a flange right after the catalytic converter that I should be able to unbolt. Only problem is it is so rusted that I can't get it to come apart. Any ideas?

Pb blaster or wd40 and let it sit? How fast does it need to come off? Can you heat up some part of it to break it loose?

Comment

BFH---works every time.

Comment

Heat wrench...BFH...hacksaw...O/A torch

Comment

If your just talking about the bolts then get new ones & cut off the old ones. If you have already done that & the flanges still won't seperate then you can try heating them with a torch & hitting with a hammer. Also maybe there is a spot you can get a chisel started between the flanges to force them apart.

Comment

Ok. I think I'm gonna try the chisel since I cut the bolts and it's still attached. I don't really have access to a hot enough torch so thats out the window.

Comment

If inner pipe is trash denting it inwards will help breaking the rust. Heat from a propane torch would be a big help. Either way wd-40 and tapping it with a hammer will help too. If you spray it before heating it watch you eyebrows.

Comment

Kroil

Comment

Get tools

Invest in some Kroil Oil and O&A torch. Do you have an air hammer? cut off a bit or buy a hammer bit and vibrate it off

Comment

I do lot of custom exhaust work please post what year model motor and ect ect ect i can tell you a easy way to fix it u might not need to worrie about the flange behind the cat post it up and will advise

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.