Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

erratic arc a/c on syncrowave 350

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• erratic arc a/c on syncrowave 350

guys
    every once in a while i get a very erratic arc when running on a/c and welding thick aluminum. its about to drive me crazy.
    running the balance at 7, amps at 300, 75/25 argon helium anywhere from 15-35cfh. i have tried cleaning the ground area, clamping ground directly to the part, two different bottles of gas, etc... i am at a loss.
    one day everything could be fine, and the next it drives me crazy.
    the arc kind of wanders all over the place and it even sounds different then when it runs good. and the paareacne of the bead is really flat. when its acting up i can not get a good apperaing bead at all.
    i have searched the internet and found something called "high frequency leakage",.....
    the article stated, "if you have a part(s) of your torch/lead that is/are damaged, the HF will leak and thus reduce the amount that is available at the arc to properly stabilize it"..

my torch and 25ft cables are 4 1/2 years old. and being 25ft in length, they are wrapped around the machine handles.
    have any of you had the "high frequency leakage" as stated above ? the article also went on to suggest running a bead with the lights in the shop turned off and having a coworker look for for arcing anywhere throughout the cables..

any help would be greatly appreciated on this subject.

after the holidays when i get back to work i am going to order a new set of cables and torch, probably 10ft in length, just to get them out of the equation.

Sounds like contaminated tungsten to me, but I'm sure you've already ruled that out. I haven't heard about HF leakage before but it makes since, your current needs smooth surfaces to transfer across to be efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by FABMAN View Post
      guys
      every once in a while i get a very erratic arc when running on a/c and welding thick aluminum. its about to drive me crazy.
      running the balance at 7, amps at 300, 75/25 argon helium anywhere from 15-35cfh. i have tried cleaning the ground area, clamping ground directly to the part, two different bottles of gas, etc... i am at a loss.
      one day everything could be fine, and the next it drives me crazy.
      the arc kind of wanders all over the place and it even sounds different then when it runs good. and the paareacne of the bead is really flat. when its acting up i can not get a good apperaing bead at all.
      i have searched the internet and found something called "high frequency leakage",.....
      the article stated, "if you have a part(s) of your torch/lead that is/are damaged, the HF will leak and thus reduce the amount that is available at the arc to properly stabilize it"..

my torch and 25ft cables are 4 1/2 years old. and being 25ft in length, they are wrapped around the machine handles.
      have any of you had the "high frequency leakage" as stated above ? the article also went on to suggest running a bead with the lights in the shop turned off and having a coworker look for for arcing anywhere throughout the cables..

any help would be greatly appreciated on this subject.

after the holidays when i get back to work i am going to order a new set of cables and torch, probably 10ft in length, just to get them out of the equation.
      You have answered your own question:

" and being 25ft in length, they are wrapped around the machine handles."

Do not wrap your cables around the handles. It will cause problems with your arc and can damage the boards.

Griff

Comment

Originally posted by griff01 View Post
        You have answered your own question:

" and being 25ft in length, they are wrapped around the machine handles."

Do not wrap your cables around the handles. It will cause problems with your arc and can damage the boards.

Griff

WOW.... no kidding ? i have been welding this way for over 4 years.... and this may explain why this situation arises from time to time. when i get back to work after the new year i will take them off the handles and lay them on the floor....man i hope that is all it is.... been driving me crazy over the years.

Comment

WOW.... no kidding ? i have been welding this way for over 4 years.... and this may explain why this situation arises from time to time. when i get back to work after the new year i will take them off the handles and lay them on the floor....man i hope that is all it is.... been driving me crazy over the years.
          Same story on my end.

Griff

Comment

guys,
            when i take the cables off the handles, is it ok to wind the 25' cables in a circular coil, on the ground, or will that still possibly cause a problem ?
            thanks

Comment

guys,
              when i take the cables off the handles, is it ok to wind the 25' cables in a circular coil, on the ground, or will that still possibly cause a problem ?
              I don't think you want the cables in a coil, period.

That's the point, or one of the points, of taking them off the handles.

Comment

Originally posted by Helios View Post
                I don't think you want the cables in a coil, period.

That's the point, or one of the points, of taking them off the handles.
                yea, i should have figured that... thanks.... cant wait to try it out next wednesday

Comment

Does the same hold true for pulse mig machines??

Comment

Erratic arc

You shouldn't wrap ANY leads in a coil. I have seen the magnetic field actually pick stuff up off the floor when arc was struck. Mig, Tig, Plasma, Stick.......
                    It's like wearing a old wind up watch close to a rocker arm spot welder.
                    Last edited by billmccandless; 12-26-2012, 02:54 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

ok guys
                      i took the cables off the machine handles and stretched them out onto the floor. they were not touching anything else. i also unwrapped the ground clamp off from the handles also. the ground and torch cables we no where near each other.
                      this did not change anything. i tried everything else i could think of again. still have the erratic arc.

is it possible for the power cable to break down ? this torch and cable are 4.5 years old and 6" from the torch tip have had a great deal of twisting over the 4.5 years from all of the various positions. im just wondering if the cables are capable of breaking down internally and might be causing my problem ?

my current torch is a weldcraft wp-18 good for 350 amps.

i was just searching around and see weldcraft now offers a wp-18sc, super cool, 400 amps torch that offers improved collet and body cooling compared to my torch.
                      just curious if any of you have had any experience with the sc torch ?

im so frustrated that im thinking about trying a new torch.

thanks for the help guys.

Comment

was told today by a fellow welder that my erratic arc problem might be a bad high frequency box inside the machine...
                        does that sound like a possibility guys ?

thanks

Comment

That high freq transformer generally works or it doesn't. If you've been pushing high amps in your existing torch, I'd be more inclined to say, its built up alot of resistance (burned conduit), and maybe a torch change is due.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                            That high freq transformer generally works or it doesn't. If you've been pushing high amps in your existing torch, I'd be more inclined to say, its built up alot of resistance (burned conduit), and maybe a torch change is due.

thanks for the info on the hf transformer.... and i have ordered a new torch, and am praying that is my problem.
                            this is the original torch and runs almost every day, almost 5 years, at 250-300 amps, all day long....

thanks again cruizer..

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.