No announcement yet.

battery shut off on ford power stroke

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My vise slides in my hitch and i mostly clamp the ground on the vise. if i run a heavy ground bolted to my hitch to my welder post that will eliminate other current routes. It all may sound like a waste of time but i like the added protection. I would sooner spend my money on tools and toys then expensive parts for my truck that i could have avoided toasting.

Comment

I will agree with Dan, ground on the work you are doing and run a cable to work bed, vise etc is good, reduces the forget factor. To Jr,,, reason I go on a bit here is generally about this,,,
      It all may sound like a waste of time but i like the added protection.
      Its easy to jump to the conclusion it DOES add protection, this feeling may give one a false sense of it, not a substitute for other good practice such as locating the ground properly which is the REAL factor.

These are concepts hard for some of us to work but its about risk reward, lots of damage done to cars and people working on cars/batteries every day, explosions, bumps head on hood, cuts etc, issues witdrive abilityty, lots of stuff,,, almost none done by welding even in industry that does it day in/out, countless times a day.

Its like my house, modern truck has lots of sensitive equipmedon'tdont wantinterruptrupt the power to it unless I possibly cant help it. Thats one issue but another is the genelikelihoodhood, the poster feels like the potential for injury to his equipment is a 50/50 bet,, ha,,, its in the thousands, eclipsed by the odds you will be killed in traffic on the way to the parts store, its like airplane numbers.

A master I have works part time for me,,, really sharp guy, 30 yrsindependentendant shops, brings his own car in and we weld a broken bolt out, never mentions it once.

As was pointed out,,, this is different issue,,, you can fukk things up with a welder, burn off ground strap etc but unhooking the battery aint got anything to do with it.
      Last edited by Sberry; 12-28-2012, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Here's what Ford said in bullitin from 2010. Ford, by far, has the most sensitive electronics when it comes to welding. Anyone want the entire bullitin...PM me your email. Its 20 pages long....

Trucks intended to function as mobile arc welding platforms will need to be designed toeliminate any electrical interaction between the truck's electrical system and any conductivesurface that comes in direct contact to the item to be welded. Electrical isolation of thewelding surface can be achieved by use of highly resistive barriers (i.e. Teflon, etc.). The
        barrier must include any fasteners that connect a conductive surface to the truck.
        Campbell Hausfeld 110V MIG
        Jo Ann Fabrics Hot Glue Gun

Comment

[QUOTE=NathanH;298627]Here's what Ford said in bullitin from 2010. Ford, by far, has the most sensitive electronics when it comes to welding. Anyone want the entire bullitin...PM me your email. Its 20 pages long....

So that means use nylon bolts to attach the bed to the truck so not to pass current from the welder to the chassis. I see...Bob
          Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

[QUOTE=aametalmaster;298630]
            Originally posted by NathanH View Post
            Here's what Ford said in bullitin from 2010. Ford, by far, has the most sensitive electronics when it comes to welding. Anyone want the entire bullitin...PM me your email. Its 20 pages long....

So that means use nylon bolts to attach the bed to the truck so not to pass current from the welder to the chassis. I see...Bob

It can be done. We have used both fiberglass and rubber type mounting blocks to mount various equipment. Nothing for welder bodies but for buckets, cranes, overhead platforms....equipment that will be working around or in power lines. I am not sure what all Ford means. They don't get to specific other than all the stuff to disconnect when welding on the chassis. That and how if they find any evidence of welding you might as well forget warranty on any electronics.
            Heck, there is even a hydraulic oil that is non-conductive that we have use in buckets with non-conductive hoses.
            Campbell Hausfeld 110V MIG
            Jo Ann Fabrics Hot Glue Gun

Comment

[QUOTE=NathanH;298631]
              Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post

Heck, there is even a hydraulic oil that is non-conductive that we have use in buckets with non-conductive hoses.
              Yup worked on many bucket trucks for my neighbors tree company...Bob
              Bob Wright

Comment

The equipment I have welded on I have disconnected both terminals of the battery and completely unplugged the Computer (body controller type deal, completely mechanical engine) so I didn't fry it. I also connected the ground as close to the weld as I could. This was for actually striking an arc on the equipment itself. I have plasma cut and welded off of the tailgate of my fancy diesel pickup before. I usually insulated the workpiece from the truck with a double layer of heavy welding blanket. Nothing bad happened, yet. I think a battery disconnect is a good start, but I would try to isolate the welding area as much as possible.
                MillerMatic 251
                Maxstar 150 STH
                Cutmaster 42
                Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                  Apparently, you don't. Copper bolts can be used, as long as they don't make a continuity path from the welding surface to the truck chassis. Sort of exactly like the cab (body) mounts, which is why a cab/body ground strap is required to provide continuity to the electrical components in the cab. So use junkyard body mounts, and DON'T add any grounding, and your work surface will be electrically isolated from the chassis.

Walk softly & carry a BIG SIX ! ! !
                  MM211 + SM100

Comment

never have i had an issue. i have clamped my ground onto my tailgate or now my deck and welded all day with no problems. done that with my truck shut off and idling, hundreds of times. now if i clamped at the back and was welding the frame behind my front bumper with the truck running...then i would worry!!

Comment

Hmmm, how many rig welders are out in welding land. Many thousands I'd guess. Many work off the back of there skids. Let alone muffler shops who weld your muffler on, Haven't heard of any problems yet.

The idea is to clean a good ground point (work clamp) and have it as close to the weld as possible.

Disconnecting your battery and/or computer leads is absolutely pointless

Comment

Originally posted by Steve83 View Post
                        Apparently, you don't
                        Yup i do. As long as the mounts work properly and don't rust together or rust out (common here in Ohio) everything is fine. The road salt eats everything...Bob
                        Bob Wright

Comment

Well I must be the luckiest guy in the world, because I have been welding on the back of my 2002 F550 for several years. Stick,FCAW and even the dreaded CAC.
                          I have had no problems at all.

But I haven't tried putting the ground clamp on the front bumper and then welding on something on the bed, either
                          Jeff

Comment

This has been a topic before, I'm on my 6th welding truck and have always welded off the back of the trucks.

I weld on equipment on a regular basis, I repaired a fender on a semi today in fact as well as work done on a wood chipper ( Also today )

I have been welding on vehicles ( At least 3 a week and as much as maybe 10 a week ) for the last 25 years and have never had a problem.

What I never do is put my ground at the front and then weld on the back.

Comment

The equipment I have welded on I have disconnected both terminals of the battery and completely unplugged the Computer (body controller type deal, completely mechanical engine) so I didn't fry it.
                              You figure you WOULD have fried it if you didn't? So how do we know we didn't by doing it?

One of these days we are going to hear a story about welding etc and I unhooked everything,,,, that act is way more dangerous and likely to cause a fault than leaving it aloneLikeeI mention before,,, chances of dying in commercial airliner vs road traffic. I know people that wont flydon'tnt think twice about throwing a leg over a Harley and dodging traffic.

Comment

Working...
                              X