Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

No serial number on my machine

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No serial number on my machine

Hi everyone, I need some help with a purchase that I made two days ago, from a posting on Craigslist. When I brought the machine to my shop and started
    really looking at it, the serial number plate that is normally in the front of the machine, it is not. I have contacted the seller and requested for original paperwork, and he told me that he will look and try to find it since the machine is
    five years old he does not think he has it.
    Is there another way to find the serial number for the machine?

Thx

There are white sn stickers under the sheetmetal in a few places...Bob

Comment

and the make/model of your machine is ???

....and the make/model of your machine is ???

Comment

Pro 300 engine drive

Pro 300 enginedrive with CAT engine.

Thx

Comment

No Stickers

I did open the machine and there are no sn stickers....Ed

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
          There are white sn stickers under the sheetmetal in a few places...Bob

Comment

No stickers, and its a hot (stolen) machine

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
              No stickers, and its a hot (stolen) machine
              Yup sounds like some one needed some quick holiday money

Comment

Another possibility is look on the Cat engine itself to see if the engine serial is present. It is located on the right side of the engine behind the fuel injection pump. We can cross this number over to the machine serial number.

Comment

Hey, at least it has the "Made in USA" sticker!

Comment

Originally posted by Helios View Post
                    Hey, at least it has the "Made in USA" sticker!

Why I oughtta!

Comment

And the right thing to do is?

Comment

It's a stolen machine.

As long as the seller can not provide clean titles of ownership of THIS machine and serial numberthe only conclusion is that it has been stolen from a fellow welder and it disabled him from putting bread on his table. Bring it back to the seller and get a full refund or clear and verifiable paperwork for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrutraffic View Post
                          And the right thing to do is?
                          The right thing to is supply that engine serial# to Miller, find out what the true serial# is. Find out if its reported stolen. If so then try and get a refund from the seller, then report him to the police.

The problem for you if it indeed is stolen, is that you can go to jail possessing stolen mechandise. I mean who buys a machine without a serial # in the first place??

Comment

I always get a dated and signed by seller receipt on anything I buy. I hope you did. A check with welder written on it is not very specific. I'm sure it was cash anyway. Less protection without bill of sale. It doesn't hurt to also check his ID

Comment

I may be proven wrong but my guess is the OP is now fearful he's likely sitting on a hot machine and we probably won't be hearing back from him.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.