Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about my new diversion 180...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about my new diversion 180...

Hi all,

This is my first post so please be gentle... Haha... I'm hoping I may have missed something in the excitement of getting my new diversion 180. It doesn't seem to be playing well on AC (aluminum) mode. It makes a loud buzzing at the electrode but can't get a puddle to form. But it seems to working properly on DC. Here's the set up:

Miller provided electrode 2% ceriated (dressed to nice point)
    flow gas argon at approx 20cfh
    material thickness .180" T6061
    amperage.. Recommended setting
    ground clamp attached to workpiece

I've done a considerable amount of welding in the past with both AC and DC but never with an inverter unit.

Am i missing something?? Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance for you help!
    Happy Holidays!
    Dino

Sorry Bro. That machine doesn't have enough amps to get a puddle going fast on .180 Aluminum. You need around 200-225 amps for that. Your duty cycle at 180 amps is very low IIRC. Try .125 aluminum, or preheat the metal with a torch first. Betcha hat solves your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Drf255 View Post
      Sorry Bro. That machine doesn't have enough amps to get a puddle going fast on .180 Aluminum. You need around 200-225 amps for that. Your duty cycle at 180 amps is very low IIRC. Try .125 aluminum, or preheat the metal with a torch first. Betcha hat solves your problem.
      Agree 100%

A little preheat goes a long way.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply guys! I guess it was wishful thinking on my part.... I'm sure it didn't help that it was 30 degrees in the shop last night either! Haha.

Look forward to playing a bit more and getting on to some real projects that have been waiting.

Thanks again.

Dino

Comment

If you keep the metal laying flat on your work table, the table itself will suck heat out of the aluminum. If you are just laying beads, put it up on some angle. This will help keep what heat is there in the aluminum.

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.