Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally made the decision

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally made the decision

I was going the Diversion 180 route but ordered from Cyberweld the Dynasty 200DX with air cooled foot pedal package. Can always move up to water cooled later and have the air cooled for portable jobs. Getting the machine itself was to me a great accomplishment.I figured even though I am new to TIG I would eventually have "buyers remorse" for the better machine.

Question: The wp-17 which I assume is a 150 amp torch is in the package with the Dynasty 200Dx. Why would they put a 150 AMP TORCH in a 200 amp package??

I am retired, disabled Vet, and have a 24x30 shop behind my house.
    Have a Miller 130 and a Miller Vintage (great machine). I restore old equipment and cars.

Also ordered the Hypertherm 45 (65 too much for me) as I I do some fabrication.

Won't bore you anymore but was just excited.

You guts have really helped me, so thanks.

May God Bless You and your families
    Pray for the Conn. families.

John
    Last edited by JOHN1; 12-19-2012, 05:17 PM.

You will not be disappointed with either of those machines. Good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN1 View Post
      I was going the Diversion 180 route but ordered from Cyberweld the Dynasty 200DX with air cooled foot pedal package. Can always move up to water cooled later and have the air cooled for portable jobs. Getting the machine itself was to me a great accomplishment.I figured even though I am new to TIG I would eventually have "buyers remorse" for the better machine.

Question: The wp-17 which I assume is a 150 amp torch is in the package with the Dynasty 200Dx. Why would they put a 150 AMP TORCH in a 200 amp package??

I am retired, disabled Vet, and have a 24x30 shop behind my house.
      Have a Miller 130 and a Miller Vintage (great machine). I restore old equipment and cars.

Also ordered the Hypertherm 45 (65 too much for me) as I I do some fabrication.

Won't bore you anymore but was just excited.

You guts have really helped me, so thanks.

May God Bless You and your families
      Pray for the Conn. families.

John
      I am also looking at that set with the foot control and air cooled torch, as well as the Lincoln V205-T AC/DC which has a similar set (foot control and air cooled torch) but for about $100 more for some reason. Not sure why the lincoln cost more.

Do you know what the foot control of the 200DX is made of, is it plastic?

I am looking for a welder mainly for arc welding and then to learn to tig weld. Let me know how that unit works for you.

Also, is Cyberweld a well know 'safe' place to get quality equipment and not just the cheapest price? Got a quote locally and it was $3,767 for the 200DX package you got. Not sure if that is a good price, but local service is a plus I guess.
      Last edited by clint738; 12-19-2012, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clint738 View Post
        I am also looking at that set with the foot control and air cooled torch, as well as the Lincoln V205-T AC/DC which has a similar set (foot control and air cooled torch) but for about $100 more for some reason. Not sure why the lincoln cost more.

Do you know what the foot control of the 200DX is made of, is it plastic?

I am looking for a welder mainly for arc welding and then to learn to tig weld. Let me know how that unit works for you.

Also, is Cyberweld a well know 'safe' place to get quality equipment and not just the cheapest price? Got a quote locally and it was $3,767 for the 200DX package you got. Not sure if that is a good price, but local service is a plus I guess.

I have bought from Cyberweld before with no issues and seems they get a good review.

I believe the foot control is a very hard plastic of some kind, someone else hear can advise better.

God Bless
        John

Comment

Great choice! I made the same exact choice about 4 years ago and shortly after I upgraded to a water- cooled torch and cooler for the shop work (either higher amperes or aluminum)
          After nearly 30 years of stick welding, fabricating with a gas axe and or flux core welding in the elevator trade along with Oxy-acetylene tube welding in the fabrication of bush planes in Alaska I am thrilled to be now welding with a inverter Tig machine in my tee shirt and cutting metal with either a cold cut saw or the PM-45 if speed is needed I now as well use a MM-252 or the stinger connected to the dynasty.
          Now to figure out how to justify the purchase of a CNC cutting table for the plasma cutter
          Merry Christmas to all,
          Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrachop View Post
            Great choice! I made the same exact choice about 4 years ago and shortly after I upgraded to a water- cooled torch and cooler for the shop work (either higher amperes or aluminum)
            After nearly 30 years of stick welding, fabricating with a gas axe and or flux core welding in the elevator trade along with Oxy-acetylene tube welding in the fabrication of bush planes in Alaska I am thrilled to be now welding with a inverter Tig machine in my tee shirt and cutting metal with either a cold cut saw or the PM-45 if speed is needed I now as well use a MM-252 or the stinger connected to the dynasty.
            Now to figure out how to justify the purchase of a CNC cutting table for the plasma cutter
            Merry Christmas to all,
            Tim
            Hi Tim,

With all the stick welding experience you have, what are your thoughts on how the dynasty 200DX welds with 6010 and 7018 rods?

How do you like the hot start and arc control features (dig) on the dynasty 200DX? Do you think these features are really useful?

Also, have you found the dynasty 200DX easy to get setup for AC and DC tig processes and fine tuned?

I would be using the air cooled tig torch for the lower cost. Why did you upgrade to water cooled? Would there be any issues tigging 1/8" aluminum with the air cooled torch? I know it is only rated to 150Amps I think.

Thanks,
            Clint
            Last edited by clint738; 12-19-2012, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jpence38 View Post
              You will not be disappointed with either of those machines. Good choice.
              Completely agree with this post!

Comment

Cyberweld is a well known online based welding supply dealer. Also there have been many others that people recommend. I have purchased through them.

The 150 amp tig torch is pretty well sufficient for a 200 amp machine, as long as it is a 100% duty cycle one. Companies are now trying to make 60% duty cycle to reduce costs but I haven't seen tig torches be affected yet. I do know benard makes 60% duty mig guns.

I personally have owned the dynasty 200 DX for 4 years now and I have only burnt up the tig torch once and that was because I was welding 1/2" steel, to 1/2" steel, using 200 amps, 50/50 helium mix and almost nonstop for 5 hours.

The foot pedal is made from high impact plastic, I know this because I have kicked the crap out of mine getting pissed off on a job and it still works great. But don't do it yourself, its $250 to replace!

Comment

Originally posted by Country Metals View Post
                  Cyberweld is a well known online based welding supply dealer. Also there have been many others that people recommend. I have purchased through them.

The 150 amp tig torch is pretty well sufficient for a 200 amp machine, as long as it is a 100% duty cycle one. Companies are now trying to make 60% duty cycle to reduce costs but I haven't seen tig torches be affected yet. I do know benard makes 60% duty mig guns.

I personally have owned the dynasty 200 DX for 4 years now and I have only burnt up the tig torch once and that was because I was welding 1/2" steel, to 1/2" steel, using 200 amps, 50/50 helium mix and almost nonstop for 5 hours.

The foot pedal is made from high impact plastic, I know this because I have kicked the crap out of mine getting pissed off on a job and it still works great. But don't do it yourself, its $250 to replace!
                  Hi Country Metals,

Do you know if the 200DX max AC output limit is lower when running the frequency at max 250Hz?

I noticed reading through the manual on the Lincoln V205-T AC/DC tig unit that it states:

Lincoln V205-T AC/DC
                  ** Alternate AC Wave Forms
                  - Square 200amp max output
                  - Sinusoidal 150amp max output
                  - Triangular 120amp max output

** Elevated AC Frequencies
                  - Above 85 Hz (AC output) the square wave output is limited to 170amps.
                  Elevated AC frequencies do not effect the output of
                  Sinusoidal and Triangular Waveforms.

I don't like that they market a unit as being able to only go to 150Hz AC (miller 250Hz) and then on top of that they say above 85Hz you can only go to 170amps and not 200amps when the square wave is suppose to be the setup for the most forceful arc for thick stuff.

I may never use a machine on anything ever that thick, but I don't like reading specs one place and then finding other limitations imposed under certain conditions. I think if you call it a 200amp machine, it should be 200 amp with all the bells and whistles going at max. --- enough of my rant.

Country Metals, have you tried arc welding with your 200DX ?
                  Do you think it is a machine you could spend 8 hrs welding 1/4" to 1/4" plates or 6" sch 40 pipe without duty cycle limits?

Thanks,
                  Clint

Comment

Dynasty 200 has a spec limit of 1/4". You will hit Duty cycle limits.

Comment

How were you able to weld 1/2" steel when the rating is only to 1/4" ?

Comment

Originally posted by go2building View Post
                        Dynasty 200 has a spec limit of 1/4". You will hit Duty cycle limits.
                        I would have thought being capable of 200amps that it could weld thicker than 1/4", especially if Country Metals is welding 1/2" steel.

So even welding 1/4" steel 3 or 4 minutes and then giving the machine a break while fitting up stuff is going to be to hard on the machine?

Would the machine handle it any better in stick mode versus tig mode?

Thanks,
                        Clint

Comment

I don't see why you couldn't bevel and run a couple passes to exceed the 1/4" rating.

Comment

Wohhhh,Wohhhh,Wohhhh,Wohhhh, Wohhhh.... Slow down......

I never said that I was welding 1/2" in one pass. You can use a 110 stick welder to weld the entire hull of a nuclear submarine, AS LONG AS you know how to do it. Preheat, rod size, between pass temps, a lot of experience, ect, and a lot of time on your hands.

For clarification, the specs that miller provides are for 1 pass only, not multi pass welding or usage of preheat. I would call it, fabricating specs because most welds in fabrication are single pass. Not pipe specs, military, structural, ect.

As far as AC, I do weld with it at 200 amps, I don't do it enough to really notice a difference. I only weld aluminum about once every 2 weeks at best. Usually only 1/8 - 3/16". Also running helium mix/straight will allow more heat to transfer and allowing you to run less amps meaning more duty cycle. But more cost in gas.

I just got done putting new teeth on a pulverizer and some 1 1/2" thick wear plates on bottom. I used the 200 DX to put 5/32 11018 first 3 passes in on the wear plates and then dual shielded the rest with my Invision 352 MPA Plus. I just like that strong stick beginning. I did have to preheat and move a lot to keep heat at a reasonable level.

Overall I like my 200DX

Comment

Wohhhh,Wohhhh,Wohhhh,Wohhhh, Wohhhh.... Slow down......

I never said that I was welding 1/2" in one pass. You can use a 110 stick welder to weld the entire hull of a nuclear submarine, AS LONG AS you know how to do it. Preheat, rod size, between pass temps, a lot of experience, ect, and a lot of time on your hands.

For clarification, the specs that miller provides are for 1 pass only, not multi pass welding or usage of preheat. I would call it, fabricating specs because most welds in fabrication are single pass. Not pipe specs, military, structural, ect.

As far as AC, I do weld with it at 200 amps, I don't do it enough to really notice a difference. I only weld aluminum about once every 2 weeks at best. Usually only 1/8 - 3/16". Also running helium mix/straight will allow more heat to transfer and allowing you to run less amps meaning more duty cycle. But more cost in gas.

I just got done putting new teeth on a pulverizer and some 1 1/2" thick wear plates on bottom. I used the 200 DX to put 5/32 11018 first 3 passes in on the wear plates and then dual shielded the rest with my Invision 352 MPA Plus. I just like that strong stick beginning. I did have to preheat and move a lot to keep heat at a reasonable level.

Overall I like my 200DX
                              Hi Country Metals, So you do use your Dynasty 200DX for both AC tig and DC Stick it appears. Any problems with the machine as a result of switching back and forth?

Did you use the "dig" features on the 200DX when welding that 11018 rod? Do you think the feature is an improvement over the old transformer based welders that lack the feature?

I have never heard of 11018 rod, but it looks like it takes the same amps as 7018 to run, so maybe this machine will be able to take all I can throw at it using 1/8 7018 and 5/32 6010 rods.

The Dynasty 200DX would definetly be ideal for me on the tig side, but I just want to know if the stick side of the machine can keep up with the best of them like maybe the CST 280 and the dialarcs.
                              Last edited by clint738; 12-21-2012, 07:57 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.