Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller Shopmaster 300 single phase = 220?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Shopmaster 300 single phase = 220?

Dumb question I know, but have a chance to buy a shopmaster in good condition that buyer says is set up for single phase, can I not run that on the 220 power in my workshop? he is getting rid of it becase he does not have 440 power. I don't understand, please help

Got a serial# for me??

Comment

Ask for the serial number it will let you know how old it is and get the proper owners manual for it from the resources link here. The manual will tell you the correct voltage information. Looks like the current version is single phase only 208/230/460/575 volts drawing 66/57/29/23 amps at the rated output. If the one that is for sale is the same and your wiring in your garage is decent it shouldn't be a problem to run it in your garage.
      Meltedmetal

Comment

Or just ask Cruizer who posted while I was looking stuff up via dial-up. Haha-Meltedmetal

Comment

Won't tell you specifics, like what the input votage is though, that I can tell you.

Dial up?? , didn't that go out with the dinosaurs.....

Comment

Or just ask Cruizer who posted while I was looking stuff up via dial-up. Haha- Your still gonna want a serial number though.
            Meltedmetal

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
              Won't tell you specifics, like what the input votage is though, that I can tell you.

Dial up?? , didn't that go out with the dinosaurs.....
              I am a dinosaur and a cheap one at that but I'll probably have to bite the bullet in the new year or my wife is gonna leave me for someone with high speed. I am in the land that time forgot here and high speed has only been available here at affordable prices for a few years now.
              Meltedmetal

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                Got a serial# for me??
                KG144544 Stock 903126

Comment

Originally posted by wickerdave View Post
                  Dumb question I know, but have a chance to buy a shopmaster in good condition that buyer says is set up for single phase, can I not run that on the 220 power in my workshop? he is getting rid of it becase he does not have 440 power. I don't understand, please help
                  Maybe the guy only has 575 power, but that machine is capable of 200/230/460 single phase and was born on 5/21/96

Comment

Another thing to consider, this is a machine that should have 100A service.

Comment

Shopmaster 300

OK,
                      I have negotiated a sale price of $1000.00 for the machine (1996 model) which has the wire feeder and all hoses, etc. The owner says it runs fine on 440 power source. But he still says they (whovere they is) tell him it won't run on 220. I've confirmed with MILLER what I already knew, which is they never made a Shopmaster 300 that couldn't run on 220 as well as 440,etc. I'm just wondering what might be wrong with the machine that it won't run on 220? I think they just don't have the jumpers set for 220. The price on it is too good to pass up. any ideas on what other problem it might have.
                      Last edited by wickerdave; 12-18-2012, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Bought the Miller Shopmaster 300, here's the full story!

OK,

Drove up to Seattle yesterday and bought the Shopmaster 300. Here's the story behind it. We got to the location, it turns out to be an aluminum scaffolding rental company. I asked the fellow that I had beecorrespondingng with just who were these "they" people that said the unit couldn't be used with 220. He said, well some of the guys in the warehouse, but he didn't really know anything about it but he knew they only used it one or two times a year. Then he spotted another guy and said "there's the guy who does the welding when we need it done, let's ask him. SO we asked him what was wrong with the machine. He saiabsolutelyey nothing. Prior to the company downsizing facilities they had large a full range of power options and ran it on 440 power. in the new facility they only had 220 power but only a 100 amp service with only 30 amp capacity. It was going to cost the owner $800.00 dollars to have the service upgraded in aindustriallo area and he said all they needed was a $200.00 boom box from Harbor Freight to do what they needed, so get rid of the big machine! The Shopmaster is almost like new, came with the series 60 wire feeder, all hoses, and gun, two industrial size tanks and regulators and they are full of gas, on the cart for $1000.00 When my workshop goes up this spring I will run a 200 amp service to run everything I have in it.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.