Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bobcat 250

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobcat 250

I have a newer Bobcat 250 at work that has everyone stumped. It is the only gas welder we have. I am a diesel mechanic which is good because we have 20 diesel welders but only one gas SN# MA180071h . The motor doesn't run it cranks, sparks, and I have fuel after the fuel pump is there something I am missing? I can get it to fire and run for a moment on starting fluid. if i poor gas in the carburetor it will sputter and run for a minuet then die. The carburetor is clean. The motor is a Kohler SN# 4013403941. Is there some kind of electric shut off or something. Thank you in advance.

What about the low oil shut off switch, could this be the culprit?
    Nick

Comment

I know it has oil but how does the switch work? Stop spark? because I have spark? How would I test it?

Comment

My honda on my compressor was doing the same thing. I thought my carb was clean. I was wrong. Took carb apart, pulled float needle and ran a piece of wire ( from a twist tie off a loaf of bread ) thru the tube . Put back together and it fired up first pull. All this done after i sprayed a whole can of good carb cleaner thru it and it still wouldn't run. If you are getting gas to the bowl that may be your problem

Comment

Tim,
          I remember reading on the forum that if the switch failed it could cause the unit not to start. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember something like that. Maybe we could do a search. I am sure tomorrow when Cruizer or Duane sees this you will get your answer.
          Nick

Comment

Thanks Nick yea I'm hoping its something like that. I am not a small engine guy. I don't think it's the carburetor one of my coworkers cleaned it. I didn't take the carb apart myself but he is pretty reliable. I forgot to mention the welder has less than 125 hours on it.

Comment

Try bypassing the low oil switch.

Comment

Just behind the carb sits the fuel shutdown solenoid, perhaps the wire that runs it came off.

Nothing to do with oil pressure switch, as you wouln't get any spark
                Last edited by cruizer; 12-12-2012, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Engine won't start

You can go to opeengines.com and download the manual for that engine or look at the parts breakdown for free, they are a online kolher dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rezeppa View Post
                    Thanks Nick yea I'm hoping its something like that. I am not a small engine guy. I don't think it's the carburetor one of my coworkers cleaned it. I didn't take the carb apart myself but he is pretty reliable. I forgot to mention the welder has less than 125 hours on it.
                    The fuel cut-off solenoid ( already mentioned by Cruizer) will sometimes gum up and ethanol will corrode the solenoid stem.

Easy to clean if gummed up and easy to replace if corroded.

If gummed up, sometimes you can tap on the solenoid while the engine is being cranked and get it unstuck.

Griff
                    Last edited by griff01; 12-14-2012, 07:37 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Ok I'm waiting on a new solenoid ill update if anything changes. Some dumbasss put the cover back on the welder yesterday so I had to pull it again.

Comment

Bobcat 250

Sorry for the long delay in response this project got set on the back burner. I took the cover off the back of the welder and pulled the air filter housing tapped on the solenoid with a 8oz dead blow hammer turned the ignition boom fired right up. I didn't replace the solenoid I have a spare and if it acts up again ill replace it. Thank you all for the help easy fix.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.