Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding Exhaust Piping

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding Exhaust Piping

I recently put a new muffler on my truck, but the welds are hideous. The pipe is so thin that it's hard to make an effective weld without burning through. Any advice is appreciated since I'm doing it all over again when I get some larger pipe to use.

You aren't going to get an answer on here if you don't tell what type of welding equipment and setup you are using. Not because we're mean, but because it is impossible.
    cg

Comment

They are horrible looking because usually the metal / joint was horrible to begin with. The best advise I can give you is welcome to welding 101. Practice is the only thing that will make it look good.

Comment

Originally posted by 7018fiend View Post
        I recently put a new muffler on my truck, but the welds are hideous. The pipe is so thin that it's hard to make an effective weld without burning through. Any advice is appreciated since I'm doing it all over again when I get some larger pipe to use.
        Did you weld it after it was on the truck? I don't do exhaust systems that are already on the vehicle. I can't weld what I can't see. The bottom is easy but the top isn't east to get to with a welding helmet on.

Comment

what kinda pipe aluminized or stainless steel ? i do a fair bit of exhaust if it was aluminized u need to clean inside and out to get a clean weld if not it will look like really bad

Comment

What machine/process are you trying to weld it with?

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.