Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 type of tungsten all applications

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 type of tungsten all applications

Well after research online, welding tips and tricks dude said that 2% thoriated and lanthinated will work for ac, and dc applications. the lanthinated holds the tip a little longer, but does not break as easy as the lanthinated.

can i get away with buying just one tungsten?

What machine are you using?
    Inverter or transformer tig?
    It is my understanding that the Ceriated tungsten will work on ac or dc current.
    All I use is 2% thoriated (red), but I dont tig with ac. Just dc- with a transformer power source.
    Pure tungsten is what I'd use for ac tig with a transformer power source.

Comment

I use 2% lanthanated witn my Dynasty (inverter) and used ceriated with my Syncrowave 250. Not sure what works best with a sine wave machine.

Comment

2% Lanthanated works for everything and works well. Thoriated makes little finger projections on AC and pure just balls up easily. Lanthanated makes a tiny ball on a sharp tip.

Comment

I like 2% Thoriated for everything. Pure didn't last very long for AC. 2% Thoriated seems to handle a little contamination without having to re-grind as often.

Comment

Has anyone ever tried the e3 tungstens?

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.