Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I run my Miller Bobcat 250 without the generator?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I run my Miller Bobcat 250 without the generator?

I use my Miller Bobcat 250 mostly in my garage for home projects. I am tired of having to push the thing outside whenever I want to weld something. Is there a way to plug it in so I can just run the welder off of the power from my house without having to run the generator?

Sorry if it is a dumb question, but I am new to these kind of welders. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Nope. But you could always try stripping the decals off and putting 225 thunderbolt xl ones on and see if that works.

Comment

You could make an exhaust extension to vent exhaust outside. Attach it to welder with a clamp or flange set up so it can be disconnected when you need to go portable.

Comment

Just get your self a cheap buzz box
        Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Furmdog:297620
          I use my Miller Bobcat 250 mostly in my garage for home projects. I am tired of having to push the thing outside whenever I want to weld something. Is there a way to plug it in so I can just run the welder off of the power from my house without having to run the generator?

Sorry if it is a dumb question, but I am new to these kind of welders. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
          I know a guy that put a electric motor on an old lincwelder.. it wasn't very practical but it worked.

Comment

The rotor inside has to turn at the right RPM to get weld output. If you can find a way to do this besides using the attached engine then your in business. Weldon, in above reply has a solution for you by adding an electric motor, just not practical as he said.
            You need to get an electric welding machine to do what you are asking, not an engine drive. When you get it, let me know and I will come take that screaming BobCat off your hands for no charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Bistineau View Post
              The rotor inside has to turn at the right RPM to get weld output. If you can find a way to do this besides using the attached engine then your in business. Weldon, in above reply has a solution for you by adding an electric motor, just not practical as he said.
              You need to get an electric welding machine to do what you are asking, not an engine drive. When you get it, let me know and I will come take that screaming BobCat off your hands for no charge.
              That make sense. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think I will look at some options for venting the welder. I posted a new thread on that topic. We'll see. Thanks everyone for your reponses.

Comment

Originally posted by Furmdog:297738
                Originally posted by Bistineau View Post
                That make sense. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think I will look at some options for venting the welder. I posted a new thread on that topic. We'll see. Thanks everyone for your reponses.
                Does that bobcat weld so good that you won't buy a lil buzz box?

Comment

Buy a DC buzzer, by the time you fart with exhaust, firing the thing up, putting gas in the electric would have paid for itself.

Comment

In fact would likely go for a wire feeder if inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                      Buy a DC buzzer, by the time you fart with exhaust, firing the thing up, putting gas in the electric would have paid for itself.
                      Yeah, I think you are probably right. Thanks!

Comment

Its simply just a matter of effort and return plus operating cost and as I recall you found out what a pain it is to fire up for every small weld, electric can idle all day for the cost of 5 minutes of run time from a gasser. There is a place for them just not as a shop machine. I don'tremember the style of work, if its light and general even the 240 compact mig pays for itself in a big hurry, both cost, ease of use, time etc.

A little Maxstar has nearly put my engine drives in to retirement.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.