Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weld Spatter Spray

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weld Spatter Spray

I hooked up my 211 yesterday for the first time and began running beads for practice. Most came out pretty good. I did notice a little fine spatter on a few of them; nothing horrible.

I quickly figured out I needed welding pliers because my little ****s were not working out. While shopping online for some I noticed Welding Spatter Spray. Not just spray but also dip. Then I read about using Pam cooking spray.

Please educate me on if I need to use it, when I need to use it, which type I should use, and how much to use. Is it only applied to the gun tip?

Hi Frank,

I actually just did this last night for the first time - and was responsible for a recent 'anyone used PAM' recently thread too.

I used a product from Airc(something) - it's anti-splatter spray - a little pump bottle of liquid. It actually was pretty nice in result - using flux core - I was getting a ton of splatter with my MM211. As a new hobbyist - last thing I need is splatter all over in addition to 'novice beads' - although - I'm pretty happy with what I've been laying down recently with my stick and new mig. I spray the metal joint and surrounding area and also was periodically spraying the nozzle probably every third bead (about 6" or so each). Running .030 flux on 110V btw - actually 1/4" metal - settings set manually to 3/16" metal - but I'm just getting to know my machine, some hood time and experimenting with drag vs. push techniques, positions etc. (so all - rest assured I know the settings aren't optimal for the thickness just working on some scrap!)

I plan on using PAM next - this anti splatter product was about $12 or $13 bucks - PAM is what - about $3-5 in a grocery store.

Hope this helps.
    John

Comment

I use splatter spray mainly on objects I can't have any splatter. If I'm welding close to a machined surface I'll spray it & cover it as best I can. Very rarely do I use it on the nozzle anymore but used to when I would run bigger wires at my old job. I've never used pam so can't comment on that. Personally I don't like nozzle dip, don't know why just don't use it.

I use this stuff.

http://www.gts-welco.com/gtsweldssto...l.aspx?ID=1455

Comment

Pam, cheap & works as good as the dip/spray anti-splatter. With correct voltage setting using C25 splatter should be almost non-existant.
        Last edited by Old Skool; 12-10-2012, 11:49 AM.

Comment

I use WD40 in a hand sprayer from a gallon can. #1 it reduces splatter on my parts that have 1,000's of parts and 4,000-5,000 tacks so i can't be going back to clean each part. And #2 it keeps the parts from rusting overnight esp in the humid summertime. I have found nothing that works better or cheaper. Splatter spray rusts my parts esp the water based kind and the solvent based spray has way to many hazzards. I do wear a chemical respirator and weld in my dooorway with a fan blowing out so i don't notice any strange vapor. Now this i just my way that i have been doing it for the last 8 years yours may vary. Just thought i would share...Bob

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.