Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Helmet Sensitivity

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet Sensitivity

I hooked up my 211 yesterday for the first time and began running beads for practice. I noticed that I could not see the front of the weld puddle while pushing. I had to estimate where I needed to stop.

I adjusted the sensitivity on my Digital Performance hood down from 15 (recommended setting ) to 13. It did not seem to make a difference.

I should be able to see the puddle and the immediate steel nearby, right? Should I keep adjusting the sensitivity down until I see it? I don't want to damage my eyes.

Adjust shade not sensitivity.

Use a shade 10 for GMAW. I've heard of folks who could get by with a 9 but I'm a bit fearful of that.

Sensitivity determines when the auto-shade kicks in. I sensitivity is set too high the shae will stay dark just looking out the garage door. :-)

I have the same problem. I couldn't see anything with my Hobart XVP so I bought a Digital Elite. Made a lot of difference. I also found that by not getting too close to the arc I could see better and I'm pretty sure a magnifier will help me as well.

Also try running welder's chalk through the joint. That extra "white" can be helpful as well.

Comment

Yes, I agree, Adjust the shade till you can see the weld puddle clearly !
      I've been running shade 9 for the last few years.
      Prior to that I used shade 10 for many years .

...........Norm

Comment

Thanks guys, I probably meant Shade instead of Sensitivity; I don't have the helmet in front of me.

It is good to know that the numbers are closer to 10 than 15.

More practice is in order.

Comment

The eye doctor told me that if I continue to see the arc after I lift my hood it's not dark enough.

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.