Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

180sd no gas flow / no tig arc

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 180sd no gas flow / no tig arc

I have a 180sd that's somewhere around 7 years old - zero hours on it. When I bought it new I hooked it up and struck an arc, then nothing. I never could get it to work again. Never had the time to mess with it till now. Here's what I've tested & know at this point;

The digital display seems to work properly, with no errors.

I was able to strike an arc using stick

I tested the foot control (rfcs-14) for continuity in all 5 wires, ohm'd the rheostat and got smooth consistent readings

There are 24v at the gas solenoid regardless of what I do with the foot control. It's always closed.

I grounded the solenoid terminal without power & it opened and closed normally. So I think it's good.

Ive checked for blockage in the gas line - I can blow through it relatively easily.

Sound like an issue with the circuit board? I have not visually inspected it yet. Thanks for any help!

Have you checked the gas hose for a burn hole?

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerboy View Post
      Have you checked the gas hose for a burn hole?
      I have. It's literally a "new" machine - just been sitting for quite a few years!

I had a chance to take a look at the PCB - no evidence of a short or any burn marks. I'm stumped.

Comment

Working...
      X
      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.