Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

x-treme 12 vs with lincoln 400 sae

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x-treme 12 vs with lincoln 400 sae

Hi all can I run x-treme 12 vs with lincoln 400 sae
    It says on the 400 sae tag that its variable ocv .

I just got the 12 vs and a bottle of trimix
    I need to weld quite a bit of stainless and dont want to kill the 12 vs
    if the welder is not compatable.

Steve
    Last edited by boomertoo2; 12-02-2012, 02:48 PM.

I kinda have the same problem I have a 12rc suitcase and was wondering if I could use it with a vantage 300 or 400 or do I have to use a ln-25?

Comment

Originally posted by boomertoo2 View Post
      Hi all can I run x-treme 12 vs with lincoln 400 sae
      It says on the 400 sae tag that its variable ocv .

I just got the 12 vs and a bottle of trimix
      I need to weld quite a bit of stainless and dont want to kill the 12 vs
      if the welder is not compatable.

Steve
      12vs should be fine with sae400

Comment

Originally posted by pressurewelder View Post
        I kinda have the same problem I have a 12rc suitcase and was wondering if I could use it with a vantage 300 or 400 or do I have to use a ln-25?
        12rc requires a constant voltage setting on the machine its hooked to i believe. however the ln-25 should work no prob.

Comment

The 12RC will NOT work on the Lincoln cause there is NO 24Vac to run it.

OCV, merely means Open Circuit Voltage, zero to do with Constant Voltage which unless you have a CV module on the SAE, it's not there

Comment

Thanks cruiser. I run it (12rc) with a tb302 and it seems to run great. Iam I doing things right? And why wouldn't a 12k machine be able to run it? It looks more and more the 350pp is the way to go it will run the vs and rc

Comment

Every machine will run the VS suitcase, but only those having 24Vac will run a RC

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                The 12RC will NOT work on the Lincoln cause there is NO 24Vac to run it.

OCV, merely means Open Circuit Voltage, zero to do with Constant Voltage which unless you have a CV module on the SAE, it's not there
                If the SAE 400 is variable voltage should I use the CC or CV setting on the 12-VS ?

Also is it ok to reverse polarity when using the 12-VS ?

Comment

CV mode

And no reason to change polarity unless your running fluxcore

Comment

Thanks much

Comment

CV mode

And no reason to change polarity unless your running fluxcore
                      cruizer, i am confused, if the sae 400 is a variable voltage machine wouldn't you run the 12vs on constant current setting? (? on your post #9.) thanks tom.

Comment

Originally posted by cws612 View Post
                        cruizer, i am confused, if the sae 400 is a variable voltage machine wouldn't you run the 12vs on constant current setting? (? on your post #9.) thanks tom.
                        I have ZERO idea on which SAE400 you have.

A code # would be handy for me to pull up the correct spec's

Comment

my apologies, i assumed boomertoo was referring to a engine/generator sae 400. i never knew them to be other than stick machines (cc). i am not questioning you just your response. if the sae 400 is a variable voltage stick machine, should the 12vs feeder control be set on cc? thanks, tom.

Comment

Originally posted by cws612 View Post
                            my apologies, i assumed boomertoo was referring to a engine/generator sae 400. i never knew them to be other than stick machines (cc). i am not questioning you just your response. if the sae 400 is a variable voltage stick machine, should the 12vs feeder control be set on cc? thanks, tom.

Code# so we can be on the same page, there is about 6 different SAE400's

Comment

Mine is an gasoline engine driven shield arc sae-400
                              serial a-701394
                              code 7175

There is no model number that I can find

I would appreciate any info and year built you can find
                              Last edited by boomertoo2; 12-05-2012, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.