Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

help with my trailers lighting?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with my trailers lighting?

I just updated the lights on my tool trailer from older bulb style to led. My signals & brakes work but my. Driving lights don't at all. I tested the connection to the led and I'm getting power. Ok. Its three wires. White-ground. Red-blink&brake. & black-driving lights. I tested red & black by them selfs straight to the battery and they work but when wired on trailer Im not getting my driving lights. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Trailer light problems are usually bad earth.
    Run an earth as a test wire and see what happens.

Ji

Comment

Did it. Didn't fix it.
      Last edited by eecervantes83; 11-27-2012, 09:13 PM.

Comment

So you have Pos and an earth to the LED and still no light?

Ji

Comment

Letme explain while wired on the trailer. I get no driving lights. But. if I disconnect the brake&blinker wire my driving lights work. I've checked for a short & found non. ???

Comment

Did you check at the car connector?
            When checked at the LED did you use a light bulb or a multi meter?

Ji

Comment

Originally posted by Jigantor:296933
              Did you check at the car connector?
              When checked at the LED did you use a light bulb or a multi meter?

Ji
              Checked with light probe. Have power up to the led.

Comment

LED is a diode.
                Diodes allow current to flow in only one direction.
                Is the positive lead connected correctly?
                Ji

Comment

I have never heard of a 3 wire system, only a 4 wire system and I have owned over 8 trailers in my short 15 years. There is flat 4, round 4, round 5, now flat 5, round 6, round 7, soon round 8, air brakes. You need Ground, Blink, Brake, Running. No system that I have ever worked on can have blink and brake on the same wire because they would conflict each other.

That is probably why the lights don't work when connected on the trailer, and why they do work when blink/brake are disconnected. You are having a conflict on the towing vehicle.
                  Last edited by Country Metals; 11-28-2012, 05:12 AM.

Comment

4 wires needed

If you have what we have most of the time on american made trucks, the same bulb that is lit when braking and blinks when flashing, you absolutely need 4 wires wich on the connector are white, green,brown and yellow.

I don't remember exactly wich is what but they are named: left flasher, right flasher, parking and GROUND.

As said before 90%+ of the time ground is at fault, never trust the trailer body or coupling to carry ground, there is to be a good wire ground all the way to the bulbs.

If the vehicle is equiped with a dedicated flasher bulb at the rear (yellow lens) then you need a signal converter from auto-part store.

When the ground is bad flashing mode dims the park lites and all seem to work confusely.

hope it helps, my .02

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
                      I don't remember exactly wich is what but they are named: left flasher, right flasher, parking and GROUND.
                      White: Ground
                      Brown: Park/Brake
                      Yellow: Left Turn
                      Green: Right Turn

The problem with some/most small trailers is they use the fenders/steel for ground, and at your tongue the white/ground is only 12" long. I always run my grounds directly to the light to prevent rusting/dielectric issues.

Trailer diagram

Comment

Sorry to disagree but brake and park can not be on same wire since 2 different filaments in bulb are concerned.

check there for all acurate datas (not from me)

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/trail...ng-diagram.htm

Comment

I had same issue. 3 wires on LED, I took the white wire and grounded it to the metal where light was mounted using a separate screw. I did this at each light and it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Metals:296946
                            I have never heard of a 3 wire system, only a 4 wire system and I have owned over 8 trailers in my short 15 years. There is flat 4, round 4, round 5, now flat 5, round 6, round 7, soon round 8, air brakes. You need Ground, Blink, Brake, Running. No system that I have ever worked on can have blink and brake on the same wire because they would conflict each other.

That is probably why the lights don't work when connected on the trailer, and why they do work when blink/brake are disconnected. You are having a conflict on the towing vehicle.
                            I have a four wire setup. My leds have 3 wires. And I've tried every way to wire it. = no running light's

Comment

So if you remove a lamp assembly and jumper it to a battery . white to neg, then either the brake or the running lights will light but not both together?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.