Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

miller challenger 172?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miller challenger 172?

Anyone have experience with this machine?

Any known querks or issues? I believe its successor is the mm180?

Im looking at picking one up thats for sale locally

The challenger 172 came before the mm180 around 1997. It has a 6 position voltage switch instead of four position which gives better control. I owned one from 1997 till 2010 when it got sold to a friend of mine who is still using it, no problems with it we used a 15 ft benard gun on it since 2007 no feeding problems

Duane

Comment

I had one for five years, good machine.

What are they asking?

God Bless
      John

Comment

I have the Challenger 172. I may have misunderstood the other reply, but mine has a 4 position switch with the adjustable wire speed control. I bought mine new around 1999 and so far so good, although I only average about 1 or 2 small projects a year. I paid about $600 to Airgas just for the welder itself back then.

Comment

4 taps

My grandfather and I bought one in 1999. Only 4 taps so was hard to use on sheetmetal. Replaced by the infinate voltage 175. Arc starts are ok, maybe even better than the 175. $$650-675 with no regulator in 1999.

Comment

miller challenger 172?

It has the 4 position voltage switch.

It in immaculate shape. Im waiting for him to send me the serial to verify year.

Hes asking $650 which is high. Im gonna throw him an offer

Comment

Originally posted by Jobpump53 View Post
              It has the 4 position voltage switch.

It in immaculate shape. Im waiting for him to send me the serial to verify year.

Hes asking $650 which is high. Im gonna throw him an offer
              Way too high, probably more than it cost new. Amazon has the Hobart HH190 w/spool gun for $819, and the HH187 for $729.

Comment

My friend got one in the spring for 450 it looked brand new with a little dust on it its the later one with more than 4 taps . It came with a 125cf c25 emty and no cart

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.