Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

lens magnifier and jacket ?'s

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lens magnifier and jacket ?'s

im gona get my dad a lens magnifier for his welding helmet for christmas but what diopter would you guys recomend? his eyes arent too bad. also could you guys recomend a decen welding jacket that protects from the uv rays but it still kinda light so you wont get all hot and sweaty. thanks.

Originally posted by slow50 View Post
    im gona get my dad a lens magnifier for his welding helmet for christmas but what diopter would you guys recomend? his eyes arent too bad. also could you guys recomend a decen welding jacket that protects from the uv rays but it still kinda light so you wont get all hot and sweaty. thanks.
    I assume he does not have one yet so I would recommend a #1 diopter. It magnifies a tad, but not too much that it would be a shock.

As for the jacket I use a Cape sleeve with a snap on bib. The back is completely open and the bib keeps his shirt clean. Miller makes some good stuff and I would recommend the color black, as it reflects the least UV ray up under the hood.

Comment

If he wears reading glasses, look for the diopter strength. We have no idea how good his eyes are.

Comment

how old is he ? Some magnifiers did go by age .

Comment

thanks for the input he's 55 ive seen him wear reading glasses once he said he used them for the bifocals but i think they belonged to my step mom. he's always complaining about not being able to see the weld as he's welding so i thought the magnifier would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by slow50 View Post
            thanks for the input he's 55 ive seen him wear reading glasses once he said he used them for the bifocals but i think they belonged to my step mom. he's always complaining about not being able to see the weld as he's welding so i thought the magnifier would be good.
            Perhaps you should think about buying him a visit to the optometrist. I use a #2 and on some occasions double up with a #2 reading glasses. I am 56.

Comment

Suggest you start by determining what power to put in your dad's helmut by dragging him to a store that has a variety of readers, so he can try them before purchasing the lens. This way your dad can see what power is best at his normal working distance when welding. I prefer a stronger power when tigging, compared to mig and stick. At the age of 55 years your dad, most likely, will benefit by using at least a +2.50 add. I use a +3.50 for tig. The "add" is the power of lens used in addition to the distance correction.
              Last edited by Goodhand; 11-25-2012, 05:39 PM.

Comment

His age is not a reliable indicator of what strength of magnifier is appropriate. I'll be 60 soon and have only recently graduated to a +1.5 from a +1.25. And too strong is not better than not strong enough. You need to get him to check out the magnifier eye glass tree at the local store.
                Good Luck.-Meltedmetal

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.