Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why even build a 20% duty cycle machine?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by big mike View Post
    Why produce a 20% duty cycle machine?.......price point.
    Also, don't forget portability. Duty cycle of a welder is also determined by the cooling capacity of the welder. Generally, smaller compact sized welders will have less duty cycle and less weight than something with a better duty cycle.

    Just how portable is the snap on welder compared to the smaller size units? Also, who would be willing to pay the $2700 price for a 140amp snap on welder?
    Millermatic Passport Plus
    Millermatic 200

    Millermatic 350P with Python
    XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12VS
    Dynasty 300 DX
    Thermal Arc 400 MST
    Victor O/A
    Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by crawler:296607
      Originally posted by big mike View Post
      Why produce a 20% duty cycle machine?.......price point.
      Also, don't forget portability. Duty cycle of a welder is also determined by the cooling capacity of the welder. Generally, smaller compact sized welders will have less duty cycle and less weight than something with a better duty cycle.

      Just how portable is the snap on welder compared to the smaller size units? Also, who would be willing to pay the $2700 price for a 140amp snap on welder?
      Well.... right out of the box you can reach 25' from the machine, from the receptacle you can reach 45'. Tell me a portable miller you can do that with? None. So when u set the miller up to reach inside of a 6 wheel dump body ( typically 1/8-3/16" ) and without putting the machine in the body with you, you will have well over the 2700 for the snap on. I currently own 5 millers, 2 hobarts, 1 Marquette, 2 lincolns and a thermal dynamics... i used the snap on and was impressed with its performance. If you dont like it because you READ a couple bad reviews i really dont give a sh@^. Everyone is entitled to a opinion.

      Comment


      • #33
        duty cycle

        Theirs a lot of times I wish my mm135 had a longer duty cycle. So I could leave my main unit set up with .045 instead of having to switch it out for sheet metal repairs.
        ARMOR
        MOBILE WELDING&SERVICES
        Trailblazer 302
        X-TREME 12VS
        Spoolmatic 30A
        Millermatic 135
        WeldCraft WPseries TIG torch
        Smith oxy set.

        Comment


        • #34
          The point is that machine is not really very mobile. It is heavy. Kinda like they took a bigger machine and made the knob only turn up halfway. The tig feature is nice. But you could get a Lincoln 350 for a bit more money and lots more features.
          WAY too much money for what you get.
          Sounds like somebody needs to have their MM180 looked at IMO.
          Getting hot at halfway isn't normal.
          I would have almost no use whatsoever for this machine. I could see a body shop falling in love with it. I still have loads of overpriced Snap-On equipment from my auto repair days. I even have a Snap-On Truck owner client.To each his own. I believe this thread is meant to stir the pot anyways, so good job on that point!

          www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

          Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
          Miller WC-115-A
          Miller Spectrum 300
          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by FusionKing:296617
            The point is that machine is not really very mobile. It is heavy. Kinda like they took a bigger machine and made the knob only turn up halfway. The tig feature is nice. But you could get a Lincoln 350 for a bit more money and lots more features.
            WAY too much money for what you get.
            Sounds like somebody needs to have their MM180 looked at IMO.
            Getting hot at halfway isn't normal.
            I would have almost no use whatsoever for this machine. I could see a body shop falling in love with it. I still have loads of overpriced Snap-On equipment from my auto repair days. I even have a Snap-On Truck owner client.To each his own. I believe this thread is meant to stir the pot anyways, so good job on that point!
            That definetly makes sense, it has the features that a bigger welder would have too. Really i didnt start this thread with the intention of it going the way it did but it seems alot of threads do that here. You get what im saying. For a long time i thought snap on had junk welders, i used my friends the other night for about 20 minutes straight with it turned all the way up. I was expecting it to overheat or trip the breaker but to my surprise it didnt, it also welded really smooth for a 110v. Im not gona go out and buy one myself but if i found a used one for a decent price i wouldnt pass it up. My friend bought his like new for 1500 bucks.

            Comment


            • #36
              If I had the chance to get one cheap, it would be something I might recommend to a friend. I have a buddy who swears by his YA212 and he has had it for years.
              Miller made a body shop 120v machine called a cricket or something like that. I remember the LWS taking a couple in on trade a couple of years ago. Not near that fancy tho.

              www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
              Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
              MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
              Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

              Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
              Miller 30-A Spoolgun
              Miller WC-115-A
              Miller Spectrum 300
              Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
              Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

              Comment


              • #37
                I think maybe it was called the sidekick
                Low duty cycle and power tho. Pretty much junk IMO.

                www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

                Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                Miller WC-115-A
                Miller Spectrum 300
                Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

                Comment


                • #38
                  I wonder how they get more out of a 20A circuit than other machines do?

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                    I wonder how they get more out of a 20A circuit than other machines do?
                    They don't. This snap on welder uses 30A 120v circuit.
                    Millermatic Passport Plus
                    Millermatic 200

                    Millermatic 350P with Python
                    XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12VS
                    Dynasty 300 DX
                    Thermal Arc 400 MST
                    Victor O/A
                    Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                      I wonder how they get more out of a 20A circuit than other machines do?
                      Look at the weight!!
                      sucker weighs almost 200 lbs!
                      It's not apples to apples here. Different animal altogether.

                      www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

                      Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                      Miller WC-115-A
                      Miller Spectrum 300
                      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        I think HARBOR FREIGHT makes the snap on, it must be good .

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                          I wonder how they get more out of a 20A circuit than other machines do?
                          I thinking the mother load of PFC.

                          Betcha the meter goes wild right when it's switched on til the time it's switched off.
                          Kind of like a big refrigerator with the door left open.
                          Nothing welded, Nothing gained

                          Miller Dynasty700DX
                          3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
                          Miller Dynasty200DX
                          ThermalArc 400 GTSW
                          MillerMatic350P
                          MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
                          MKCobraMig260
                          Lincoln SP-170T
                          Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
                          Hypertherm 1250
                          Hypertherm 800
                          PlasmaCam CNC cutter
                          Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
                          SiberHegner CNC Mill
                          2 ea. Bridgeport
                          LeBlond 15" Lathe
                          Haberle 18" Cold Saw
                          Doringer 14" Cold Saw
                          6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X