Miller Maxstar 150 tig/stick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Maxstar 150 tig/stick

Hey guys what do you think of running root passes with a Maxstar 150 in stick mode ? Im running roots with 6011 on this machine and all it wants to do is try to snuff out. I have to fight to keep the rod lit and keep it from sticking even with higher amperages.

This is the machine our shop purchased to weld a high pressure steam line contract we have.

I think its a joke and they should have purchased a CST 280

Well....I have a 150STL, and have done 6010 roots, its not the easiest thing to do..but its doable. Ive had to use 3/32 5P keep a very tight arc, and really couldnt whip it like you can on a bigger machine. I dont think the machine has enough potential to sustain the arc through a big whip. Cant speak for the CST280, as Ive never ran one, but about 6 months ago got a Maxstar 200...and it runs amazing. Plus its super portable. Ive ran it on everything that it can handle from 120-480v three phase and it hasnt let me down!

Comment

Cst 280

Originally posted by Newfie_1986 View Post
      Hey guys what do you think of running root passes with a Maxstar 150 in stick mode ? Im running roots with 6011 on this machine and all it wants to do is try to snuff out. I have to fight to keep the rod lit and keep it from sticking even with higher amperages.

This is the machine our shop purchased to weld a high pressure steam line contract we have.

I think its a joke and they should have purchased a CST 280
      If there is a welding machine out there that is not given the credit it truly deserves, it is the Miller CST 280. Truly a beautiful welder with more than enough power. I thought my Dynasty 200DX was a great stick welder and it is but oh boy the CST is smooth on all rods I have put through it.

Comment

What diameter rod are you using? I can run 1/8" and get 50% penetration on 1/2" with my 150 without having to max out the amps.

Comment

Mine is good with 1/8 6011, if your procedure allows this the machine should do it. I can do big whips with 11. Maybe something is wrong with the unit,,, call Miller on this one, we on the right polarity?

I ranked it good in the start dept compared to a tranny like a Dialarc. Not great but side by side with a couple other machines I will say it requires a bit more fussy discipline to get great starts. I thought the other 99% I wouldnt know which machine I was running.

Built a handrail out of used galv well pipe the other day, it was outside in the breeze, I cleaned the plsma cuts some, had some gaps, I scuff some galv off, nothing reallly well or clean, welded right up and around.
          Last edited by Sberry; 11-20-2012, 03:07 PM.

Comment

If your running 6011 try switching polarity to straight and it will run beautiful. In fact i usually run straight polarity with 6011 no matter what machine. May not be "proper" but im not always proper.... jus looking for good results.

Comment

I have a Maxstar 150 STL Great welder for going into confined space with. It has a place I would not want to do a bunch of 6011 root pass with it. Mine runs 6011 great but it's still like comparing a bluestar to a trailblazer it's not apples to apples. It's not perfect scenario but ill tell you at work a lot we make work with what we have. I don't know how much pipe your welding so I can't comment if your company was out of line.
              Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
              Maxstar 150STL
              Metabos
              Kennedy Maintenance Pro Full
              Makita Cordless 18v Li-Ion
              Stihl TS 420

Timfrank88@live.com

Comment

We use the 150 mostly for tig. Light work ok. Ok, for stick small pipe.
                Real stick welding we go to the CST 280. BIG DIFFERENCE .

Comment

I can have the bloody thing on 90 with a 1/8 6011 running a root, keeping a tight arc gap and she will snuff out and stick. I think it is a ground issue, im even having trouble starting 7018s.... The ground clamp on the machine is a joke. Think I will change the ground clamp tomorrow...

Comment

I had to fix my clamp, something came loose but it works great.

Comment

Working...
                    X