Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIVERSION 180 broken foot cable now the whole welder doesent work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DIVERSION 180 broken foot cable now the whole welder doesent work?

    Hi, I just purchased a diversion 180 Tig and using it about the second time I had a piece of steel fall off my bench and break the cablefor the foot control. now the welder will only work on the lowest setting. I was told by the dealer that this is not warranty. is there a simple fix for this problem or will i have to pay them to do the work on it?

    Thanks

  • #2
    If its the cable that was cut, just splice the wires back together. After that wrap it with electrical tape or if you want to get a little fancy use some heat shrink tubing.
    sigpic

    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 350P
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution dry saw
    40 ton press brake
    Evenheat Heat treat oven

    1x42 / 4x48 belt grinder

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ja baudin View Post
      If its the cable that was cut, just splice the wires back together. After that wrap it with electrical tape or if you want to get a little fancy use some heat shrink tubing.
      It will only operate on the lowest setting (10A) even with the hand controlls on the torch with the foot pedal un plugged. I could splice the wires and fix the pedal as you said but the welder still wouldent work?

      Comment


      • #4
        I recently sold my Diversion 165 so I can not personally verify this but I believe that the cable used for the Diversion foot control is just an Ethernet CAT5 patch cord. If you have a wired home network or even your PC wired to the DSL or Cable box try borrowing the cable. Ethernet patch cords are available just about everywhere - Radio Shack, Wally World, office supply stores, computer stores etc. I am sure Miller has a replacement part number if you want True Blue.

        Ken

        Comment


        • #5
          but my problem is that the welder will only put out 10 amps now... theres a controller on the torch that works in place of the foot pedal if the foot pedal is unplugged and it will only let me run 10 Amps.

          thanks

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by taylorkh View Post
            I recently sold my Diversion 165 so I can not personally verify this but I believe that the cable used for the Diversion foot control is just an Ethernet CAT5 patch cord. If you have a wired home network or even your PC wired to the DSL or Cable box try borrowing the cable. Ethernet patch cords are available just about everywhere - Radio Shack, Wally World, office supply stores, computer stores etc. I am sure Miller has a replacement part number if you want True Blue.

            Ken
            I agree. It's just a patch cord. Go to Best Buy and get a new one.
            Lincoln Vantage 400
            Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™

            Miller Dynasty® 350
            Millermatic 350P Aluminum
            Millermatic® 252
            Syncrowave 351
            Lincoln LN-25 Pro

            Multimatic™ 200

            XR-Aluma Pro Gun
            Diversion™ 180

            Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

            Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
            Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jaden View Post
              but my problem is that the welder will only put out 10 amps now... theres a controller on the torch that works in place of the foot pedal if the foot pedal is unplugged and it will only let me run 10 Amps.

              thanks
              Are you sure that falling metal didn't get part of the torch cable as well?
              Lincoln Vantage 400
              Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™

              Miller Dynasty® 350
              Millermatic 350P Aluminum
              Millermatic® 252
              Syncrowave 351
              Lincoln LN-25 Pro

              Multimatic™ 200

              XR-Aluma Pro Gun
              Diversion™ 180

              Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

              Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
              Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kvwall View Post
                Are you sure that falling metal didn't get part of the torch cable as well?
                yes im positive, its like when the cord split it shorted something in the welder, i checked the owners manual and for this symptom it sais to send it in to be looked at. im just wondering if there is an easy fix for this as opposed to sending it in and paying a fortune for it to be fixxed

                Comment


                • #9
                  Just checking, but when you tried the hand control on the torch was the busted cable still plugged into the machine or did you unplug it?
                  sigpic

                  Dynasty 200 DX
                  Millermatic 350P
                  30A Spoolgun
                  Lincoln Pro Mig 140
                  Hypertherm Powermax 30
                  14" Rage Evolution dry saw
                  40 ton press brake
                  Evenheat Heat treat oven

                  1x42 / 4x48 belt grinder

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ja baudin View Post
                    Just checking, but when you tried the hand control on the torch was the busted cable still plugged into the machine or did you unplug it?
                    no it was un plugged... it must have backfed power through the welder and fried something. what i dont know

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      What ya do is take the machine only into another service depot, and act like a dumb maid, ie, "I don't know what happened, it was working one day, but didn't work the next." Or be one of there very few, and tell em what actually happened.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Yeah, be sure to show them the cable too
                        Nick
                        Miller 252 Mig
                        Miller Cricket XL
                        Millermatic 150 Mig
                        Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
                        2-O/A outfits
                        Jet Lathe and Mill
                        Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
                        DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
                        Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
                        20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
                        Propane Forge
                        60" X 60" router/plasma table

                        www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
                        Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
                        and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jaden View Post
                          Hi, I just purchased a diversion 180 Tig and using it about the second time I had a piece of steel fall off my bench and break the cablefor the foot control. now the welder will only work on the lowest setting. I was told by the dealer that this is not warranty. is there a simple fix for this problem or will i have to pay them to do the work on it?

                          Thanks
                          0. It sounds like wires to the variable resistor, controlling amperage, have been compromised.

                          1. What part of the cable was broken?

                          2. Was the cable plug going into the machine distressed by the steel falling on the cable?

                          3. Were wires in the cable cut (or shorted) by the steel? Which colors of wire strands in the cable were cut/shorted by the steel?

                          4. If you can check the voltages at the pinouts for the pedal (found on the schematic), it might give you a clue to where the defect exists.
                          Last edited by Goodhand; 11-15-2012, 02:04 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            well. I ended up sending the unit in to the place that i bought the welder and they sent it in for repair

                            I told the guy what happened and sent in the foot cable. ends up that it fried the circuit board in the welder! wow. I was surprised that they dont install some sort of safety device for this.

                            anyways they are going to replace the circuit board under warranty so i guess thats all that really matters.

                            good to know that miller stands behind there products in a scenario like this

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Glad I bought miller
                              .
                              Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
                              Millermatic 211
                              Spoolmate 100
                              (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
                              Work better & less parts to stock.
                              Miller 130xp
                              T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
                              Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
                              2. 4-1/2" grinders
                              1. 9" grinder
                              14" Makita chop saw
                              1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X