Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIVERSION 180 broken foot cable now the whole welder doesent work?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIVERSION 180 broken foot cable now the whole welder doesent work?

Hi, I just purchased a diversion 180 Tig and using it about the second time I had a piece of steel fall off my bench and break the cablefor the foot control. now the welder will only work on the lowest setting. I was told by the dealer that this is not warranty. is there a simple fix for this problem or will i have to pay them to do the work on it?

Thanks

If its the cable that was cut, just splice the wires back together. After that wrap it with electrical tape or if you want to get a little fancy use some heat shrink tubing.

Comment

Originally posted by ja baudin View Post
      If its the cable that was cut, just splice the wires back together. After that wrap it with electrical tape or if you want to get a little fancy use some heat shrink tubing.
      It will only operate on the lowest setting (10A) even with the hand controlls on the torch with the foot pedal un plugged. I could splice the wires and fix the pedal as you said but the welder still wouldent work?

Comment

I recently sold my Diversion 165 so I can not personally verify this but I believe that the cable used for the Diversion foot control is just an Ethernet CAT5 patch cord. If you have a wired home network or even your PC wired to the DSL or Cable box try borrowing the cable. Ethernet patch cords are available just about everywhere - Radio Shack, Wally World, office supply stores, computer stores etc. I am sure Miller has a replacement part number if you want True Blue.

Ken

Comment

but my problem is that the welder will only put out 10 amps now... theres a controller on the torch that works in place of the foot pedal if the foot pedal is unplugged and it will only let me run 10 Amps.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by taylorkh View Post
            I recently sold my Diversion 165 so I can not personally verify this but I believe that the cable used for the Diversion foot control is just an Ethernet CAT5 patch cord. If you have a wired home network or even your PC wired to the DSL or Cable box try borrowing the cable. Ethernet patch cords are available just about everywhere - Radio Shack, Wally World, office supply stores, computer stores etc. I am sure Miller has a replacement part number if you want True Blue.

Ken
            I agree. It's just a patch cord. Go to Best Buy and get a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by jaden View Post
              but my problem is that the welder will only put out 10 amps now... theres a controller on the torch that works in place of the foot pedal if the foot pedal is unplugged and it will only let me run 10 Amps.

thanks
              Are you sure that falling metal didn't get part of the torch cable as well?

Comment

Originally posted by kvwall View Post
                Are you sure that falling metal didn't get part of the torch cable as well?
                yes im positive, its like when the cord split it shorted something in the welder, i checked the owners manual and for this symptom it sais to send it in to be looked at. im just wondering if there is an easy fix for this as opposed to sending it in and paying a fortune for it to be fixxed

Comment

Just checking, but when you tried the hand control on the torch was the busted cable still plugged into the machine or did you unplug it?

Comment

Originally posted by ja baudin View Post
                    Just checking, but when you tried the hand control on the torch was the busted cable still plugged into the machine or did you unplug it?
                    no it was un plugged... it must have backfed power through the welder and fried something. what i dont know

Comment

What ya do is take the machine only into another service depot, and act like a dumb maid, ie, "I don't know what happened, it was working one day, but didn't work the next." Or be one of there very few, and tell em what actually happened.

Comment

Yeah, be sure to show them the cable too

Comment

Originally posted by jaden View Post
                          Hi, I just purchased a diversion 180 Tig and using it about the second time I had a piece of steel fall off my bench and break the cablefor the foot control. now the welder will only work on the lowest setting. I was told by the dealer that this is not warranty. is there a simple fix for this problem or will i have to pay them to do the work on it?

Thanks
                          0. It sounds like wires to the variable resistor, controlling amperage, have been compromised.

1. What part of the cable was broken?

2. Was the cable plug going into the machine distressed by the steel falling on the cable?

3. Were wires in the cable cut (or shorted) by the steel? Which colors of wire strands in the cable were cut/shorted by the steel?

4. If you can check the voltages at the pinouts for the pedal (found on the schematic), it might give you a clue to where the defect exists.
                          Last edited by Goodhand; 11-15-2012, 01:04 AM.

Comment

well. I ended up sending the unit in to the place that i bought the welder and they sent it in for repair

I told the guy what happened and sent in the foot cable. ends up that it fried the circuit board in the welder! wow. I was surprised that they dont install some sort of safety device for this.

anyways they are going to replace the circuit board under warranty so i guess thats all that really matters.

good to know that miller stands behind there products in a scenario like this

Comment

Glad I bought miller

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.