Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Millermatic 211 issue

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by weldbay View Post
    I realize that I have to prove myself here all the time. On the other hand it is reassuring to find that I am not always wrong:

Electrical Hadbook:

In some multiple-unit residential buildings of North America, three-phase power is supplied to the building but individual units have only single-phase power formed from two of the three supply phases. Lighting and convenience receptacles are connected from either phase conductor to neutral, giving the usual 120 V required by typical North American appliances. In the split-phase system, high-power loads are connected between the opposite "hot" poles, giving a voltage of 240 V. In some cases, they may be connected between phases of a three-phase system, giving a voltage of 208 V. This practice is common enough that 208 V single-phase equipment is readily available in North America. Attempts to use the more common 120/240 V equipment intended for split-phase distribution may result in poor performance since 240 V heating and lighting equipment will only produce 75% of its rating when operated at 208 V. Motors rated at 240 V will draw higher current at 208 V; some motors are dual-labelled for both voltages.
    Moot point- the MM211 will run on 208v just fine, at least mine did.

So I doubt the problem he is having is a result of 208v

Comment

I can also add...

...that if the outlet or plug is wired incorrectly, (ground wire hot, hot wire ground) the machine WILL NOT FIRE AT ALL...see my first few posts to learn how I know that.

Comment

This is the first 220 mach the poster has run, do you know how many garage welders I have helped that wired their mach with the white still on neutral not on the breaker. You are "positive" he is on 220 you are "positive his input leads are wired correctly, you are"positive" he knows how to go from manual to autoset You are positive he know exactly how the 211 works,

You know you AH's I give I will move on but as I do I will be contact Miller mangagment and complaine about the crap on "THEIR" forum.

Oh and by the way salesman maybe but I have been to Miller 3 times and gone throug thier class still have friends in high places.

KMA check that one cruizer

Comment

Who are you talking to?

Comment

Originally posted by weldbay View Post
            This is the first 220 mach the poster has run, do you know how many garage welders I have helped that wired their mach with the white still on neutral not on the breaker. You are "positive" he is on 220 you are "positive his input leads are wired correctly, you are"positive" he knows how to go from manual to autoset You are positive he know exactly how the 211 works,

You know you AH's I give I will move on but as I do I will be contact Miller mangagment and complaine about the crap on "THEIR" forum.

Oh and by the way salesman maybe but I have been to Miller 3 times and gone throug thier class still have friends in high places.

KMA check that one cruizer
            I'm not sure what has you so fired up but I will address your concerns:

I agree-that a lot of receptacles are wired incorrectly but in THIS case the receptacle is a Dryer receptacle so I assume it is working correctly otherwise his dryer wouldnt work. He made an extension cord to plug into the dryer receptacle so the extension cord connector could be wired incorrectly , just like you think the receptacle could be the problem. so I'm pretty sure it is not the receptacle, but since I can't meter it through the internets it's my best guess

You also mentioned that the poor performance could be due to him having 208v, I disagree since I have a MM211 and have run it on 208v- it works just as it does on 240v. This I'm positive on.

I do not assume he knows how the MM211 works but I think he has a pretty good idea that something is wrong since he has used the welder successfully on 120v.

I've got friends in low places

Comment

Last edited by Matrix; 11-14-2012, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                I'm not sure what has you so fired up but I will address your concerns:

I agree-that a lot of receptacles are wired incorrectly but in THIS case the receptacle is a Dryer receptacle so I assume it is working correctly otherwise his dryer wouldnt work. He made an extension cord to plug into the dryer receptacle so the extension cord connector could be wired incorrectly , just like you think the receptacle could be the problem. so I'm pretty sure it is not the receptacle, but since I can't meter it through the internets it's my best guess

You also mentioned that the poor performance could be due to him having 208v, I disagree since I have a MM211 and have run it on 208v- it works just as it does on 240v. This I'm positive on.

I do not assume he knows how the MM211 works but I think he has a pretty good idea that something is wrong since he has used the welder successfully on 120v.

I've got friends in low places
                Not to mention the FACT that my garage was wired WRONG when I first plugged MY MM211 in for the first time...IT WOULDN'T"T EVEN TURN THE FAN ON!

Comment

Update

I want to update you guys on the issue with the 211, i sold it! I bought a 212 yesterday and let me tell you guys, the difference is night and day. I was starting to doubt all the hours of practice did anything, well they did. I have the 212 hooked in the same dedicated dryer plug as the 211, i guess the only way to describe it is the 212 is more forgiving i suppose. At this point i am just happy to have a machine that works the way i need it to. I never thought in a million years i would talk bad about a miller product but the 211 is not a great 220 machine, and thats all i have to say about that!

Comment

My 211 works like a champ on 240V even when I try to do something stupid. There was probably something wrong with yours that could have been fixed by the miller repair guys but glad to hear that you like the 212. FWIW: I have never used my 211 on 120V.

Comment

Originally posted by RAyJ View Post
                      My 211 works like a champ on 240V even when I try to do something stupid. There was probably something wrong with yours that could have been fixed by the miller repair guys but glad to hear that you like the 212. FWIW: I have never used my 211 on 120V.
                      X2...except I have used mine on 120V.

Comment

Originally posted by Doughboyracer View Post
                        X2...except I have used mine on 120V.
                        well - I'm glad to here THIS as I just loaded a spool into my spanking new MM211 last night and intend on firing it up tonight after checking polarity setting - I think it ships set up for solid wire?

anyway - i'll verify then fire it up - hope I don't have the issues of this unfortunate thread originator....!

Comment

Millermatic 211 issue

Just pulled my MM211 out of a box yesterday. Welds fantastic on 230. Much more power than I expected in a small machine.

Comment

Millermatic 211 issue

I just bought a 211, it welds like a dream on 240, but you must have a 50amp breaker and a dryer plug is only good to 30amps and it can't handle the current. Your starving the machine for current and this will degrade the inverter. The outlet design and plug are low current and the internal inverter draws some current. Right ion the back of the machine it states 50 amps.

You need to buy the right plugs and outlets, and they don't carry these at Home Depot . Grainier or McMaster Carr are your best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by moonshiner View Post
                              I just bought a 211, it welds like a dream on 240, but you must have a 50amp breaker and a dryer plug is only good to 30amps and it can't handle the current. Your starving the machine for current and this will degrade the inverter. The outlet design and plug are low current and the internal inverter draws some current. Right ion the back of the machine it states 50 amps.

You need to buy the right plugs and outlets, and they don't carry these at Home Depot . Grainier or McMaster Carr are your best bet.
                              The mm211 is not an inverter

It will run just fine on a 30 amp circuit

Home depot by me has 6-50r

Comment

Originally posted by moonshiner View Post

First Home Depot does have 50 Amp outlets and plugs.

Most importantly is the size of the wire from the breaker to the welder.

They say that 8 ga is OK for 40 Amps ..... but if the run is too long, and extension cords are used voltage drop may be significant enough to cause problems.

In order to insure my welders will operate as designed I installed all 6 ga wiring from the box to the welder.

I'm picking up a MM211 in the very near future to replace a MM210 I had but was not being used as much as it would have been because of its physical size.

I will be closely watching the MM211's performance though after hearing people are complaining about it.

One things for certain, it won't be an input voltage problem if there are issues.

I might just rent one for a day to see how I like it.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.