Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with syncrowave..

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with syncrowave..

First time poster long time reader.

Ive been doing some smaw welding with the syncrowave today and noticed the amperage display showed 5 and the volts were jumping from the mid 50's to 60's.

I can still weld with the machine but cannot change the amperage unless I restart the machine and do it from the beginning. I believe there is only 19 hrs on it.

The serial is LE265890.

Any help from Cruizer or the others would be greatly appreciated..
    Im going to attempt to put a video on my youtube page and post it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL47DzHJwN8&feature=plcp

Check it out.. THanks in advance.

Comment

Loose or corroded connection on RC4 on the circuit board, or a loose/corroded connections wire #'s 2&3 on S5 the AC/DC_/DC+ selector switch.

Now I like dielectric grease in the circut board connectors, however all you have to do is pull and reseat them

Comment

Make sure it is swithcing from tig to stick, and unplug your foot control.

Comment

He's having problems with the unit picking up OCV. Geez

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
            He's having problems with the unit picking up OCV. Geez
            He said his volt meter was 50- 60 and amp gauge at 5, pretty much what he would get with contactor closed and no Amp control

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
              Loose or corroded connection on RC4 on the circuit board, or a loose/corroded connections wire #'s 2&3 on S5 the AC/DC_/DC+ selector switch.

Now I like dielectric grease in the circut board connectors, however all you have to do is pull and reseat them

Thank you very much. I will look into it tomorrow. I appreciate you getting back to me that quick.

Comment

Cruizer: I unplugged the connector and reseated multiple times to no avail. All connections are tight on s5... As are the work and electrode connections. Any other ideas?

Weldbay the machine switches modes on the display. The foot pedal was not installed..

thnaks for your help

Comment

You know your problem is different than expected when I watched the video. Could just be a bad board, You are still under warranty, contact your LWS have them call Miller and send you a new board. Miller ships parts 2nd day air so order
                  early Monday and you should have it by Wed. I see no point is messing with it and maybe negating the warranty.

Make sure you make the LWS responsible for the right part number have them assit in the installation that will cover your liability.

If you need help with the part number let us know.

Comment

I called miller and spoke to a tech support technician. He is pretty confident the main board is bad. He gave me a couple numbers for board repair. Any recommendations from you guys?

ITs aggravating that the machine has only 19 hrs on it..

Comment

I use Radwell international exclusively for my rebuilds, never let me down yet.

Comment

I like http://www.innovatcorp.com/, always helpful.

Comment

Well I pulled the board pc1. Sent it over to Radwell headquarters about 30 mins from me. Ill fill you in on what they tell me if you guys are interested..

Thanks again for the help. Too bad it wasnt the **** plug.

Comment

Ok here is the update. I sent the board over to Radwell Int. He told me he could not find anything wrong with the board and could make all adjustments. He replaced 2 parts just as a precaution and sent me the board back.

I installed it into my machine and had a similar problem. THe voltage output is erratic and bouncing. I compared the readings to my Fluke meter and they were the same. So according to Miller's service the hall device is ok. I was instructed to test the SCR's. I did that today and both worked as they should.. Well all 4 total.

Here is the part that upsets me a bit. I called Miller's support again and explained where I was with the machine. I asked if there was any info to give to Radwell to help them figure out whats wrong with the board. He seemed to think there was a problem with the board that could not be repaired, Maybe the microprocessor or something feeding it. What gets me is the reason I was given for the failure is because I didnt use the machine enough.

I bought the machine with low hours from a friend. In close to a year I put almost 20 hrs on it and it worked fine. (if im reading the display right). The miller Tech said thats not enough time and I would most likely be replacing boards every 6 years. I was told it would be in my best interest to rent a machine.. Well I dont want to rent a machine. I have 5 to $6,000.00 of miller equipment and was planning on adding a 252 after the new year.

I have never heard of this and not sure what to believe. If that is the case im done with Miller. Obviously im not spending millions with them but im 24 yrs old and put a lot of my money into trusting Miller and their reputation.

I have 2 questions for you guys:
                            Any one heard of a minimum runtime and if so what is it?

Also is there anything I can do to tell Radwell? Does it sound like the board is not repairable?

Thanks guys.

Comment

I guess the unsold units sitting in storage are doomed to failure. BS on that

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.