Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

can not lay a consistent bead

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • can not lay a consistent bead

    im starting to get a little frustraded with my stick welding. i can run a bead using any weive technique and it looks great very consistent with the amount of beads i make, however, when i just run a stright bead with no weive one will look good and bad and good. i dont under stand what im doing wrong. iv ask my instructor for help, but he just says keep practicing.

  • #2
    Amps and rod?

    Comment


    • #3
      im at about 115-120a using 1/8 7018 rod. on 3/8 steel plate.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mrman View Post

        iv ask my instructor for help, but he just says keep practicing.
        Yup....Bob

        Comment


        • #5
          Can you post some pictures?

          Comment


          • #6
            Is your steel plate large enough so you are not crowding your welds, bump up the heat about 10 amps or so, keep the rod plum with your work, but leaning back 10 to 15% in direction of travel, keep a tight arc, grasp the stinger loosely, feel for the rod to be trying to push it along after its started, 7018 is known for that, just go with it once you get it started

            Comment


            • #7
              Yup, about 10 amps more.....when beginning concentrate on bracing your shoulders and letting your body "float" while focusing on the rod being stable...I use one finger from the other hand as a rest (similar to holding the barrel of a gun. Do not squeeze the rod as you will get burned.....keep your standoff height steady....u will get the hang of dragging the rod then maintaining height at the same time.....be patient. Maske sure rods are cooked(hot) much easier to work with for a beginner....
              Originally posted by kevin View Post
              Is your steel plate large enough so you are not crowding your welds, bump up the heat about 10 amps or so, keep the rod plum with your work, but leaning back 10 to 15% in direction of travel, keep a tight arc, grasp the stinger loosely, feel for the rod to be trying to push it along after its started, 7018 is known for that, just go with it once you get it started

              Comment


              • #8
                thanks a lot ill give it a try. its funny, when i first saw arc welding i thought it look easy. LOL

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mrman View Post
                  thanks a lot ill give it a try. its funny, when i first saw arc welding i thought it look easy. LOL
                  It is easy, after you have burned a couple hundred pounds of rod.

                  Griff

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Then when you get the weld looking real good switch hands and practice with that one. Because some day you will need to weld with it...Bob

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It will take just about the same amount of time to become a good welder as it takes to become a doctor

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Consistent travel speed is a big one. My vertical looked like that for a while.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          tomorrow i go back to school, so i'll have to try these ways. NO offence to any body on here, but i wish my instructor would have told me stuff like this.

                          thank you all for responding to my HELP THREAD with advise. i'll try to take some pics so i can post them to give you guys a look at what im doing.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            np.....we can help more then as well
                            Originally posted by mrman View Post
                            tomorrow i go back to school, so i'll have to try these ways. NO offence to any body on here, but i wish my instructor would have told me stuff like this.

                            thank you all for responding to my HELP THREAD with advise. i'll try to take some pics so i can post them to give you guys a look at what im doing.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.