Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diversion 180

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diversion 180

Welders, ( I leave myself out of that category as I am only a hobbyist) I went and looked at the Diversion 180 today. Played with the thing and it seemed simply enough. The price is right and I want opinions on the TIG ability. I can see welding Stainless Steel and iron, but I am not sure I would ever weld aluminum. Would I be better off saving my money and buying a Dynasty, or is there a better machine?

Do you have a stick machine ? The diversion is tig only. The syncro 200 will do tig and stick. Just thought I would mention.

Comment

Diversion 180

Thanks for the response. I will look at that one also.

I got a great stick machine, Trailblazer 302. It's the second one I bought after the first one was stolen early last spring.

Comment

Me too on the Trailerblazer 302. I would have bought a syncro 200 but got a super deal on a used 180 SD. I only use it for tig. My go to shop stick machine is a Miller CST 280.

Comment

Diversion 180

I also am a hobby welder. Just got a diversion 165, which is a bit less powerful, doesn't come with a foot pedal, and no MVP plug. I love the thing, wish I had the pedal and plug though. I would definitely recommend the diversion series. Small and convenient, but powerful enough for what I would weld.

What are you welding over there?

Comment

Originally posted by TBSwarr View Post
            I also am a hobby welder. Just got a diversion 165, which is a bit less powerful, doesn't come with a foot pedal, and no MVP plug. I love the thing, wish I had the pedal and plug though. I would definitely recommend the diversion series. Small and convenient, but powerful enough for what I would weld.

What are you welding over there?
            See Private Message.

Comment

From one hobbyist to another... It was always my theory that if you buy a TIG welder you should include AC capability. If you have a TIG welder A) you will come across something aluminum which you need to weld or B) someone hearing that you have a TIG welder will say "can you weld this aluminum for me?"

I purchased a Diversion 165 a little over 3 years ago. While I was trying to figure out the finger control torch (I had taken a TIG class 3 years before, was out of practice and had learned on a foot pedal) my step-son came by and said "can you weld aluminum?" He had two of sheets of aluminum which he wanted to use for some purpose but each had a couple of holes drilled in the middle. So the first thing I welded with the Diversion was someone else's aluminum

That said, the Diversion was a great machine. However, I wanted pulse capability and sold it a couple of weeks ago and purchased a Dynasty 200 DX. It is a good thing we hobbyists don't have to cost justify our purchases

Ken

Comment

If you will not be tig welding aluminum, you just need a dc stick welder to tig weld steel/stainless steel.
                If you have a good dc stick machine, all you need is a tig torch with a gas valve, a bottle of argon and a regulator/flowmeter. This is scratch start and is very effective and economical way to tig weld ferrous metals. You will not have a foot peddle or auto gas control but for tig welding ferrous metals, you don't need that stuff.
                If your just a hobby welder, you will find you will rarely have the need to weld aluminum.
                Last edited by snoeproe; 11-09-2012, 08:02 AM.

Comment

I have a Diversion 180 and a Trailblazer 302. Since the 180 is so portable, I just plug it into the TB302 when I'm at a job site. I like the 180 but it would be nice to have pulse.

I agree with all those that say you will certainly have a need for AC one day.

Comment

I also agree, your friends will want you to weld aluminum. And it is so much fun.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.