Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

band saws

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• band saws

Hey guys, looking at getting a band saw (horizontal) though I would love to go out and get an Ellis like everyone else, It seems a little unpractical for a guy who does not use it everyday.On that note I know the harbor freight stuff is all nock off chinese and i realize its nothing compared to the Ellis but for 250$ I have read alot of reviews on it and the biggest complaint is the flimsy stand.Im not concerned with that, my concern is will it cut straight? I have seen no negatives on this part the saw anyone here have one that can share there experience with?

Believe me guys I have used the ellis and if money grew on my tree thats what i would buy however, for the weekend warrior / hobbiest seems a little much for me.Thanks in advance Eric

band saws

I will tell you first had, i could not get the HF bandsaw to cut straight.

I ended up finding a kalamazoo h9aw on craigslist for $900

Hope that helps

Comment

I have been running 3 HF 4x6 saws for the last 12 years on production runs and they are perfect. The stand is scrap and i didn't use it on any of them. I made my own and raised up the saw so i can see whats going on. One never needed any adjustments and cuts perfect right from the box. I did drain the oil in the gearbox from the start and refilled with some good gear lube for Boston gearboxes. For the price they can't be beat but thats just my thoughts....Bob

Comment

As with most Harbor Freight equipment, you'll need to do some tinkering, rebuilding, modifying before the saw works as you wish. It is doable and the price probably has you straining to keep from walking in the door and plopping down your hard earned money.

Get on the newsgroup and scope out the modifications for those saws. Generally you're going to need to open up the gearbox and scour the casting sand and grit out of it before repalcing the oil with the 'real' stuff instead fo whatever the Chicoms used. Same goes for the wheel alignment...might get lucky, but probably not. No real major re-engineering, but a mess of nitpicking hassles. Friend fried his motor by walking away from the saw while it was cutting and it jammed in the cut. That one cost me a Baldor motor to make right for him.

While an Ellis may be too much for your blood, I'd say that you should look into a bit higher range of horz. saws. I've owned Grizzly's and they weren't nearly as problematic and their work envelope was much greater. A cheap little saw may prove to be just a cheap little saw no matter how much you spit and polish it up. not extolling Grizzly exclusively either as most of those Chicom/Taiwanese saws are made by the same folks and rebadged/repainted for sale.

Comment

band saws

I do agree with the other posters. If i had maybe put time in and worked alittle harder on it i may have achieved the cut i was looking for. I just had a hard time justifying the time re working it over and over. I adjusted wheels and guides a handful of times before i gave up.

And i also looked at longevity and continues parts.

Comment

aametalmaster said it for me too. Had mine at least 5 years now and it is good. However, I got mine REALLY CHEAP. They had a 30% off coupon , one day special. Back then it was $115.00 with coupon. Got two, and are still going on the original motor.

Comment

Band saw

Thanks fellas for the input, seems im at a crapp shoot with this. I am a name brand man through and through normaly for everything else just hard to cut loose of that extra coin for a hobby is all. On the other hand my mig is Miller, my diversion180 obviousely blue again, and just added a hypertherm plasma to the arsenal what to do, what to do??? One would think this wuld be an easy decision.

Comment

Study on it for awhile! I purchased my Ellis 3000 for $1500. Locally, there is a 1600 for around $500...thinking about getting it for a backup. Sold my Grizzly for half what I paid for it. So...there are deals to be had out there. I'd imagine if you took a look around your area...gotta be better than Wyoming...there would at least be cheap used Harbor Freight bandsaws coming out of the woodwork.

Comment

I don't understand why people will spend so much for mig welders, tig and stick welders and a host of other shop tools and then want a metal cutting saw and want it for under $200 and expect it to be a great machine. You can spend more than that on a decent drill. What do they actually expect? Oh yeah, and top it off with $16 grinders and a 115 piece imported drill bit set for $39. I just don't get it.

Comment

band saws

Just my two cents!
                    I bought a Jet, cuts straight, can get the blades easy, no problems after five years, cuts vertical and horizontal. I paid $400 for it. It's not fast, but for home use it works great!

Comment

I see you are in Illinois. I don't what part but here is my local suppliers website in Wisconsin on the Ellis 1600. A couple weeks ago it was $2250.00, now $2495.00.
                      http://www.weldersupply.com/ Go there and search Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by three turbos View Post
                        Hey guys, looking at getting a band saw (horizontal) though I would love to go out and get an Ellis like everyone else, It seems a little unpractical for a guy who does not use it everyday.On that note I know the harbor freight stuff is all nock off chinese and i realize its nothing compared to the Ellis but for 250$ I have read alot of reviews on it and the biggest complaint is the flimsy stand.Im not concerned with that, my concern is will it cut straight? I have seen no negatives on this part the saw anyone here have one that can share there experience with?

Believe me guys I have used the ellis and if money grew on my tree thats what i would buy however, for the weekend warrior / hobbiest seems a little much for me.Thanks in advance Eric
                        I'd never tried using Ellis but I've heard that it gives accurate and aggravation-
                        free cuts and straight cut as well.What's the model of your Ellis?
                        Oh anyway, you may wanna try checking www.bandsawmanuals.com . I just
                        discovered this site and I got manual for the band saw I own for free. Hope this might help you also on how to work some stuff with your machine.
                        Last edited by surfside; 11-05-2012, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by three turbos View Post

What kind of projects do you do?

I have the HF bandsaw, and as others mentioned the stand is flimsy needs tweaking etc etc. But I bought a Porta Band and I hardly ever touch my bandsaw anymore. I don't do production runs and I can cut a decent 45˚ and 90˚.

I wish I had purchased the Port-a-band much sooner, worth the $.

http://www.swagoffroad.com

These guys make a decent stand for the Port-a-band saws. I haven't used one but they seem to get pretty good reviews around the Forums.

Comment

I have one of those "Pacific Basin" 4 X 6 bandsaws. I've had it for more than 10 years and sometimes it cuts straight and sometimes it doesn't. I've never had one of those "ah ha!" moments when trying to get it to cut straight again after it's gone off the rails. I just mess with the guide rollers and hope I can get it straight again. I use Starret blades most of the time--some hardback and some bi-metal and I've not been able to relate straight cutting to a particular blade.

However, today while I was looking at it to figure out why it won't cut straight again I happened to look carefully at the blade and noticed that it's cupped. That is, if you sectioned the blade so you could look at the blade cross section, you'd see it shaped like a ) . I have two blades that won't cut straight and both look like that ). I can't figure out why they have become distorted like that. I usually check the guide rollers and set them tight enough so there isn't a lot of lateral play but not so tight that the blade gets squeezed out.

Has anyone else ever noticed the cup-shaped blade? And if so, has anyone figured out what causes it?

Comment

hmm

Ive had a hf4x6 for quite awhile ive got it to cut perfect with a bimetal blade search Yahoo 4x6 bandsaw group there is a tutorial to get it perfect and many other mods ist a cheap chinese saw it takes a lil work to get perfect thats the difference in 250 vs 1700&up ive cut a bunch with mine and only had to resquare the vise after moving get a good blade and get the downfeed right and you blade shouldn't wander

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.