Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ceriated vs. Thoriated Tungsten

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceriated vs. Thoriated Tungsten

Does it really matter which you use? I know thorium fumes can be carcinogenic, but does ceriated tungsten do anything different? I've never used it.

I am extremely impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your blog.digital cameras price in Pakistan
    Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the nice quality writing, nikon camera price in Pakistan
    itís rare to see a nice blog like this one these days

Comment

FWIW, 2% lanthanated seems to work great for everything. It's not radioactive like thoriated, and it's not much more expensive (on ebay) than ceriated.

Comment

Ceriated vs. Thoriated Tungsten

Does it matter what type of machine you have when using lanthinated?

Comment

Originally posted by dlonu2005 View Post
          Does it matter what type of machine you have when using lanthinated?
          I don't think so (I use a Syncrowave transformer machine) but check with someone who knows.

Comment

I've used both & I can't tell the difference. Been using 2% thor.for 30 years and still cancer free! Just don't use a geiger counter on me!

Comment

All I use is 2% thorium. Smooth stable arc and starts great on my dc transformer.
              The fumes are not carcinogenic. It the dust when you dress the tip you have to worry about. However, you stand a greater change of getting cancer from second hand cigarette smoke then you do from grinding or dressing a 2% thoriated tungsten. The ultraviolet light flash from the tig weld arc will give you cancer faster.

Comment

I have found the biggest success with 2% thoriated is that is has a very large usable amp range, so using 3/32 for steel then cleaning/ballsing your tip and doing 1/8 aluminum is possible

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.