Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

SMAW welds almost completely flat

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAW welds almost completely flat

Hi, im new to the forum but ive been welding for about 3 years now. Started with mig, then tig (which im still learning) and now arc in school. My arc welds with 1/8 6011 rods on 3/16 plate are almost completely flat. Its on 90 amps and even my shop teacher is stumped. My mig welds in class are great but i cant figure this out. Ive been doing a back and forth motion, bracing against the table, good overlap and so so penetration. So i decided to come here for advice, any is appreciated!

Bump

Comment

Some pics would probably help so other can see the welds and maybe offer some advise.

Comment

Il try and take a pic in shop later.

Comment

flat weld conture

E6010-11 electrodes produce flat bead contures. The weld is sound as long as there is no:

undercut/fill. overlap, cracks.
          Weld will not look like GMAW, GMAW-S, or GTAW

Comment

I knew that the bead contour would be different but when compared to other students welds mine have significantly less height. Unless I turn it down to 75w but then its not wide enough or good enough penetration for my teacher to even test it.

Comment

Are you holding the rod at the same angle as everyone else? Holding at closer to 90 degrees make a taller rod and holding close to a 45 makes a flatter wider bead. Just wondering....Bob

Comment

I hold around an 55/60. Il try a 90 on monday. I wasn't able to get a pic today sadly.

Comment

6010 is a high penetration rod and doesn't build up much. It's typically only used for root passes and some joints so you really don't need to have much build up. Mine are extremely flat. The bead only sticks up like 1/16" and that is with plenty of reinforcement to withstand a break test.

Comment

A great article written with great hard work...i must say....Thanks for posting this article.canon camera prices in Pakistan
                    I am definitely tired of struggling to find relevant and intelligent commentary on this subject.sony camera prices in Pakistan
                    Everyone nowadays seem to go to extremes to either drive home their viewpoint or suggest that everybody else in the globe is wrong. Thanks for your concise and relevant insight a great work of your which shows...I like your site its quite informative and i would like to come here again as i get some time from my studies. i would like to invite my other friends to this site, as you have done a great job.i must say...keep it up guys..Thanks for the information.I apriciate each and every point of your article.Really great information .Keep sharing ..Well done

Comment

Just a couple more items to consider. Travel speed and arc length will both significantly affect bead profile.

Comment

Jusy thought id report in. Once i whipped out about an inch further. Now one of the best in the class. Funny how that works haha. Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

SMAW welds almost completely flat

I know this is an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new thread for a simple question. What kind of technique did you use for 6011? We're doing that in my class now and I can't seem to make it look as good as I can with 6013 or 7018. I'm going a long the previous bead in the crevice and building up a puddle then whipping it out until I notice it cools slightly then bringing it back in right ahead of where I stopped? Am I doing this wrong or does it just take a lot of practice. My other welds look pretty good, not as good as a lot of y'all's but my teacher said that they were one of the best in the class for me being new to it. Can someone explain the right technique?

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.