Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

MM175 doesn't power up.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MM175 doesn't power up.

Hi, I'm new to welding, I just finished setting up my used MM175. I plugged the machine in and turned it on just to see if the feed rollers would turn. After pushing the switch to turn the machine on it remained dead. I checked the voltage at the outlet and that is correct across the 2 hot lines, there is power to the reset on both legs. I have no lights on the circuit board (green & red) if anyone has any idea what could be wrong I'd appreciate hearing from you, thankyou.

Unit has a transformer/fan motor, what happens even out of the box the wires to that transformer, come loose. Very popular problem with this type of setup.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
      Unit has a transformer/fan motor, what happens even out of the box the wires to that transformer, come loose. Very popular problem with this type of setup.
      I failed to mention I did check connections, perhaps not good enough, I'll have to recheck them again.

Comment

You didn't check the connections at the fan motor, I bet, 2 wires to run the fan motor and 2 to power everything else

Comment

You didn't check the connections at the fan motor, I bet, 2 wires to run the fan motor and 2 to power everything else
          Unfortunately I did check everyone of the connections. At this point I'm figuring its the circuit board.

Comment

NO lights, means no power, merely check for 24VAC on the 2 white leads comming off that fan motor. Bet its that unit, very common for failure there,

Comment

NO lights, means no power, merely check for 24VAC on the 2 white leads comming off that fan motor. Bet its that unit, very common for failure there,
              Ok, I unplugged the connector that connects the PC board to the fan motor, on the 2 white leads I got 0 VAC, ON THE 2 black wires in the same connector I got 14.8 VAC. It appears the fan isn't getting the correct voltage from the PC board.

Comment

You check the wires at the TRANSFORMER, Yankin the connector at the circuit board won't tell you anything.

Comment

You check the wires at the TRANSFORMER, Yankin the connector at the circuit board won't tell you anything.
                  I just checked the white wires coming out of the transformer and it read 0VAC, does that mean the fan/transformer is bad? Sorry for not totally understanding all this but electronics are not my forte, and also thank you for your patience.

Comment

Yes, this means that the fan motor/control transformer is bad. Same thing I've been saying all along.

Comment

Yes, this means that the fan motor/control transformer is bad. Same thing I've been saying all along.
                      Thank you for your time and help.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.