Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The difference between cables

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The difference between cables

I can buy the standard Hardware cable which I thinks is 7 x 19 however I have a hanger door to repair so I think I might need to have some cable designed for overhead lifting.

Also what is stronger, A cable clamp or a swagged aluminum sleeve, I was doing a little hunting and they recommend a copper sleeve over an aluminum sleeve for galvanized cable.

I know how to install a cable clamp ( Never saddle a dead horse )

I have the swagging tools because I do a fair amount of cable railings.

Thanks.

I like the sleeves as they look clean, but before there was sleeves there were clamps.
    I learned the dead horse thing when I worked for the Rail Road in Roseville.
    Good Luck,
    Bob

Comment

A crimped sleeve is probably better, it doesn't slip or cut the cable. Sleeves are typical for that type of install. Better or best might not matter, sometimes adequate is the thing.
      Last edited by Sberry; 10-29-2012, 08:25 AM.

Comment

I did a little research today and found out that a clamp reduces the cables rated capacity 20%. while with a sleeve it stays at 100%

Comment

Working...
        X
        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.