Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheater Lens

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheater Lens

Does anyone know which of the newer AD hoods will accept the thicker glass cheaters?

I know the Hobart won't as the clips that hold it won't accept the thicker glass lenses.

I've been shopping for a new hood and that's one spec they never mention. and no there is no way I can live with the plastic ones that the first time you wipe off they are so scratched you can't see anything.

I'm pretty sure alot of the Miller ones do. I think all of them might actually.

Comment

Originally posted by shortarc View Post
      Does anyone know which of the newer AD hoods will accept the thicker glass cheaters?
      How thick are the glass cheaters? I tried to search and the thickness wasn't specified in the first couple I found. I use a 1.5 diopter Hobart cheater and it really helps. The glass maybe a good option if it gets scratched.

Comment

Originally posted by pin2hot View Post
        How thick are the glass cheaters? I tried to search and the thickness wasn't specified in the first couple I found. I use a 1.5 diopter Hobart cheater and it really helps. The glass maybe a good option if it gets scratched.
        just went out to the truck and measured one. It's .285 or about 9/32.

Comment

Originally posted by shortarc View Post
          just went out to the truck and measured one. It's .285 or about 9/32.
          My Hobart cheater is 4-1/4 x 2 x ~5/32 and just fits in the slot in a Speedglas 9100V. No way would 9/32 fit. The 9000 series speedglas supposedly lets you put a cheater under the front cover plate. I don't think there is a dedicated slot for a cheater, though. But I've been wrong before, way more than once.

Comment

Cheater Lens

I use a Hobart 2.50 in my Hobart auto-arc hood. Works great for me. Welding is much tougher without it. Have tried using glasses under the hood without the cheater but its not as good for me doing mig.

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.