Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dialarc hf ac stopped working

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dialarc hf ac stopped working

I have a Dialarc HF serial #JF 860958 from around 1985. I was in the middle of welding some 1/4" aluminum when the arc got unstable so I stopped and re ground the tungsten but when I tried to start welding again there was no High frequency A/C. It produces D/C OK and I can scratch start it but no high frequency for start or continuous use. I checked and reset the spark gaps but that did nothing. Any Suggestions or ideas would much appreciated .

There is either no 120Vac going to the HF transformer, because of a relay, or popped 120Vac breaker or the hF transformer is pooched.

Comment

Thanks for the tips.

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
      There is either no 120Vac going to the HF transformer, because of a relay, or popped 120Vac breaker or the hF transformer is pooched.
      It turned out that the H.F. transformer was arcing between the windings and its frame. I had to try to initiate the H.F. with the top off of the machine to see the arcing but once I did it was obvious. I replaced it and the machine is working as good as new.

Comment

Working...
      X
      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.