Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Generator Question

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator Question

I have never welded with my Miller 211 off a generator. Found a deal on one. Was wondering what to look for while test running it before I buy. It has 7,000 running and 12,000 surge watts so it should push the welder just fine. But I know nothing about generators, so if anyone can help me with assurance before I buy it would be greatly appreciated. It's a 6 year old General. He's asking $430. Thanks!

Yep, giver, I see no problems

Comment

Generac I meant.
      Last edited by Packers To Super Bowl !!; 10-15-2012, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Anything to look for during the test run? I just plan on bringing a 4 foot piece of steel and cranking it all the way up, then lay a fat bead that long. That should be all I need to do do to feel comfortable buying??

Comment

Actually, what you want to bring is a meter, is case the unit is running way over, or way under voltage and frequency

You should probably meter the machine BEFORE you plug ANYTHING into it.

Just a thought.

Comment

Why would you need to lay a 4' weld to test it?

Comment

Not sure if that's necessary now, would just a voltage tester in the .240 outlet all I need to check.?

Comment

Originally posted by Packers To Super Bowl !! View Post
                Not sure if that's necessary now, would just a voltage tester in the .240 outlet all I need to check.?
                You need to Check the HZ also

If your meter doesn't do this you can actually do it with a a Kill-a-Watt, about 10 bux at Lowes.

You'll need 2 lights or something else to to plug in the receptacles to put a load on the generator. Space heaters work.

Just plug the 2 120v loads in to 2 separate receptacles.

Comment

Ed,
                  What's the purpose of the above test ?

.........Norm

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.