Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why high price for pedal?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why high price for pedal?

Just bought a TIG but can't understand why a pedal cost so much. If all it has is potentiometer, what's the big deal?

Why high price for pedal?

Duno, all of my tig welders came with a pedal

Comment

Because it increases shareholder wealth. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Jbkinn View Post
        Just bought a TIG but can't understand why a pedal cost so much. If all it has is potentiometer, what's the big deal?

I don't get your question, same could be said for the welder, afterall its just a couple of boards and a transformer, or a car, its just 4 wheels, a power train, a body and some seats.

No a pedal is not just a potentiometer, its the gears to run the pot, a microswitch to start your welder, a cable out to the machine, an adaptor for the cable to attach to the machine. And a spung case to hold the assembly together.

Comment

High price?

just a question, if there is not much inside and the price is high why there seems nobody made their own?

Well from what i could not find on the net...have you ever heard of someone making it's own foot control?

Comment

Can't see the hassle of making your own, I mean for a one off, it would cost more than buying a new one from Miller at list. I buy parts in bulk, so prices to build something is significantly lower, plus I sell pedals for $100 bucks made up for any machine. There is NO way to build a one off pedal for that....

Comment

Convenience.

Comment

Thanks for your replies

I'll take mine apart to check it out.
                as far as making one my guess is that welders are interested in welding not in electronics.

Comment

I just bought a set of wheels for my truck, but can't understand why the tires cost so much. They are just rubber, whats the big deal.

Comment

If you are complaining about the cost of the foot pedal give up now. Jusy wait the pedal will seem cheap compared to many other things.

Comment

I'm not complaining

I was just curious about what would make this $300 - 400.

Comment

I was just curious about what would make this $300 - 400.
                        So who is quoting you $300 - $400?

Comment

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=23460

This guy made his own pedal for about $20, and spare parts.

Comment

More interest than I thought

Funny how one thing leads into another. I also came across a homemade HF box. So in both projects the components were not expensive! Thus verifying my original premise.
                            I did some checking on commercial prices and found that I was a hundred dollars high.
                            The comparison between foot pedal and torch control was something that I was wondering about.
                            Thanks again for all your responses.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodhand View Post
                              http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=23460

This guy made his own pedal for about $20, and spare parts.
                              Although it is always interesting to see people's endeavors, that foot control would last about 2 hours in a production environment. The potentiometer shaft looks unsupported, and the side load will wear it out quickly. As far as resale, forget it.

But it looks small and lightweight enough to use in other ways. Like an underarm controller.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.