Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why high price for pedal?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jbkinn View Post
    I was just curious about what would make this $300 - 400.
    This rock solid foot control from SSC Controls in the optional chrome finish is $198.

http://www.ssccontrols.com/TIGchart.htm
    Last edited by shovelon; 10-15-2012, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jbkinn View Post
      Funny how one thing leads into another. I also came across a homemade HF box. So in both projects the components were not expensive! Thus verifying my original premise.
      I did some checking on commercial prices and found that I was a hundred dollars high.
      The comparison between foot pedal and torch control was something that I was wondering about.
      Thanks again for all your responses.
      It's alway good to make your own stuff, though that foot control simply won't last long. The idea is to buy something that you know will last like SSC.

And those parts prices individually cost in excess of $75 not including the ampheol which is another $50

Comment

Originally posted by shovelon View Post
        Although it is always interesting to see people's endeavors, that foot control would last about 2 hours in a production environment. The potentiometer shaft looks unsupported, and the side load will wear it out quickly. As far as resale, forget it.

But it looks small and lightweight enough to use in other ways. Like an underarm controller.
        Really? It's amazing how one can think they can diagnose workability from a photo when they don't know how the item works. The pot shaft is very adequately supported, and since the pull on the dacron line from the return spring balances the pull on the line to the pedal, there is essentially zero side loading on the shaft. So, conceivably, failure will occur when the internals of the pot, itself, fails... just as in any electro-mechanical device of like parameters from any supplier.

I think this pedal was made for use by the designer/fabricator, without any plans to make them for commercial use.
        Last edited by Goodhand; 10-15-2012, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodhand View Post
          Really? It's amazing how one can think they can diagnose workability from a photo when they don't know how the item works. The pot shaft is very adequately supported, and since the pull on the dacron line from the return spring balances the pull on the line to the pedal, there is essentially zero side loading on the shaft. So, conceivably, failure will occur when the internals of the pot, itself, fails... just as in any electro-mechanical device of like parameters from any suppler.

I think this pedal was made for use by the designer/fabricator, without any plans to make them for commercial use.
          Sorry, did not know it was yours.

Your pics don't allow me to zoom in on them. Did you put a remote contactor switch in there too?

Comment

after i built my truck, put the crane on it, bolted down the big blue air pak, and all the rest of the junkto go along. then filling the truck and welder with fuel,i couldnt see spending $ 250 on the pedal!

Comment

Originally posted by cayager View Post
              after i built my truck, put the crane on it, bolted down the big blue air pak, and all the rest of the junkto go along. then filling the truck and welder with fuel,i couldnt see spending $ 250 on the pedal!
              Sooo, your not tig welding. Ok cool.
              If I was a hobby welder and Purchased a hobby welder ( with no pedal) , I would spend the $250 on a pedal.
              Too expensive, find a cheaper hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by go2building View Post
                Sooo, your not tig welding. Ok cool.
                If I was a hobby welder and Purchased a hobby welder ( with no pedal) , I would spend the $250 on a pedal.
                Too expensive, find a cheaper hobby.
                i was being sarcastic. ive actually bought many pedals, sometimes just to have a spare. point being that is the cheapest thing you can buy in the welding game

Comment

I want to mod an old wah-wah pedal we have laying around. If I tried to emulate Hendrix playing Voodoo Child, how do you think the weld would come out?

Comment

Sorry, did not know it was yours.

Your pics don't allow me to zoom in on them. Did you put a remote contactor switch in there too?
                    Here's a photo, taken after wiring the components. The microswitch activates the contactor, as soon as the pedal lever moves. The goal was to make a pedal by the simplest and cheapest means, while maintaining functionality and dependability. Achieved... it works every time I use it.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Goodhand; 10-17-2012, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crabber View Post
                      I just bought a set of wheels for my truck, but can't understand why the tires cost so much. They are just rubber, whats the big deal.
                      You forgot to mention all those steel and nylon cords and all the naugas that went into making that black rubber hide.....oh wait ,naugas are for recliners, but anyway, lots of string and wire is in that there tire......

Comment

Here's a photo, taken after wiring the components. The microswitch activates the contactor, as soon as the pedal lever moves. The goal was to make a pedal by the simplest and cheapest means, while maintaining functionality and dependability. Achieved... it works every time I use it.

Is that like a screwlock next to the solenoid?

Comment

Is that like a screwlock next to the solenoid?
                          There are no solenoids in this pedal.

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out why the WIRELESS pedal costs So much.

Id love one but coud never justify the price. I wonder if SSC or another manufacturer will ever come out with a version.

Comment

There are no solenoids in this pedal.
                              Oh, I see, that is a groove pulley type guide mounted to the pot. Clever.

Comment

Originally posted by Drf255 View Post
                                I'm still trying to figure out why the WIRELESS pedal costs So much.

Id love one but coud never justify the price. I wonder if SSC or another manufacturer will ever come out with a version.
                                Prices have come down to under $500. I want one in the worst way but have still have an extra wired one.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.