No announcement yet.

need advices to become a welder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to be negative but at 38 with no welding experience you're in for a tough time.

I live in BC and have friends who work the Alberta oil fields.
    The level C ticket realy is just for the kids to open the door into the trade.

What employers actualy want is years of experience in welding AND fabrication and
    more importantly then the C ticket, all positions CWB tickets.

The first question they wil ask you at any interview is how many years of fabrication
    you got, next is do you have your CWB. I've never been asked for my C ticket and
    I've been around longer than I care to think about.

If you need to support your family now and not in 10 years time welding isn't going to do it.

Comment

Thanks a lot for being honest

Originally posted by Hershey View Post
      Sorry to be negative but at 38 with no welding experience you're in for a tough time.

I live in BC and have friends who work the Alberta oil fields.
      The level C ticket realy is just for the kids to open the door into the trade.

What employers actualy want is years of experience in welding AND fabrication and
      more importantly then the C ticket, all positions CWB tickets.

The first question they wil ask you at any interview is how many years of fabrication
      you got, next is do you have your CWB. I've never been asked for my C ticket and
      I've been around longer than I care to think about.

If you need to support your family now and not in 10 years time welding isn't going to do it.
      There is a question I ask myself and the professionals who work in the area over and over the past few weeks:" Will somebody hire me after I finished the welding foundation program?" I don't know in Alberta it would be how much easier to land on a job,but so far a lot of people recommended to go there for a reason. Hopefully I will find somebody who will focus on my skills,not only on my age.Aged people are more consistent. I am ready for a tough time.Thanks again for your reply.

Comment

One other thing I need to say, many people will tell you that Alberta is where it's at, you'll
        get $100 an hour, theres loads of work welding etc,etc, (most of them have never been there, just repeating what they've heard)

As I said, I've friends who work the oil sands and firstly to get the big bucks you need pressure tickets, have been welding pipe for years and live away from your family for months on end in camps in the middle of nowhere.
        Every weld will be x-rayed and they have to pass. Next, they regulary get laid off. They weld for a few months come back to BC for a few months, the $100 / hour soon goes when you're waiting for the call to return. It's a very nomadic lifestyle, great if you're 20 and single.

I saw in your first post that you make $14 an hour plus $7 tips where you are now, thats $21
        an hour.....you won't get that starting out, $18 if you're realy luckly, probably $14. Can you support your family on that?

Just saying, give Alberta a try, but be wary of what you're told.

Best of luck buddy.

Comment

Working...
        X