Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

miller 251

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miller 251

I have a miller 251 welder that when I weld the gas keeps shutting off about every 5 seconds and it will come back on when I hit the trigger anybody know what is wrong with it. Thanks

Likely the gun has a shorted trigger to the internal conduit. Easily tested by meter testing the trigger to machine connector to the copper connector on the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
      Likely the gun has a shorted trigger to the internal conduit. Easily tested by meter testing the trigger to machine connector to the copper connector on the gun.
      That is not the problem I have a old gun and I put it on and it does the same thing.

Comment

miller 251

Miller has a feature where if u aren't welding it shuts the gas off so u don't waste gas when the trigger is pulled. Either u aren't welding, there is an issue with that sensor or the solenoid is bad.

Comment

Seen lots of machines where the gas inlet screen is plugged with bits of teflon tape. Might be your problem. So the gun would get the inrush then go down to nothing. Retrigger and get the inrush again.

Teflon tape is NOT supposed to be used on brass fittings as the saying goes "Brass seals brass".

Comment

I just ran into a regulator that came with a new Miller machine that worked fine but would not read tank pressure.....teflon tape in the gauge orfice.

Comment

Originally posted by big mike View Post
              I just ran into a regulator that came with a new Miller machine that worked fine but would not read tank pressure.....teflon tape in the gauge orfice.
              I put meter on the wires going to gas solenid and the power is going off every 5 seconds.

Comment

Then you have a main board problem, something is heating up, and dropping power out to the solinoid.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                  Then you have a main board problem, something is heating up, and dropping power out to the solinoid.
                  Do you have to replace the main board and is this something you can do yourself. Thanks

Comment

Order it up (www.miller4less.com ) and do it yourself...

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.