No announcement yet.

211 and/or a Thunderbolt 225

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is thunder bolts with AC only, but no thunderbolts that I can think of with DC only, they are all AC/DC

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
      There is thunder bolts with AC only, but no thunderbolts that I can think of with DC only, they are all AC/DC
      You are right, my mistake. Mine is AC only.

Comment

Frank,
        I have a MM211 and a Thunderbolt AC/DC. I agree with keeping both if possible, but I understand about limited space. If your Thunderbolt was AC/DC you could do scratch start TIG on steel using DC, but you still would not be able to TIG aluminum.

I nearly always use my MM211, but it is fun to TIG eventhough I'm not very good yet. And yes, stick welding is better outdoors when it is windy (although you could use flux-core wire) and it is better on painted, rusty, or real heavy steel.

So I think you could sell the Thunderbolt, but not for much $, and use your MM211 for nearly anything you will want/need to weld.
        Burt
        Miller Thunderbolt XL
        http://www.10FtDrillBit.com

Comment

You asked what a stick rig can do where the mig can not, here is one for you, you can carbon arc gouge with a stick welder, i have an air arc gouger, that i have used on my thunderbolt, it does work with the smaller gouging rods, i have removed piles of steering knuckles off of four wheel drive solid front axles with my thunderbolt using the carbon arc technique

Comment

Quite unlikely that your going to carbon arc with an AC welder. Be a b..itch to start and keep going.

That said, your AC buzz box really isn't worth much. Best to just hang on to it for those outside jobs using 7018AC rods.

Comment

Best to just hang on to it for those outside jobs using 7018AC rods.
              Is that something that the 211 with flux-core could not do?

Comment

i know cruizer, he just asked a question, figured that an answer was needed, and no a mig machine can not be set up for a gouger, the gouger works off of the stinger lead from a stick welder, with an air hose fitted to it

Comment

Originally posted by Frank R View Post
                  Is that something that the 211 with flux-core could not do?
                  It's a 6 of one, half dozen of the other., All I'm saying is that the AC T-bolt will come in handy for those jobs where its a hassle to change polaritys and change wires back and forth. A stick machine in my line of work, is just as handy as grabbing a wire feeder. Sometimes I just don't want to set it up, when stick will do

Comment

It's a 6 of one, half dozen of the other., All I'm saying is that the AC T-bolt will come in handy for those jobs where its a hassle to change polaritys and change wires back and forth. A stick machine in my line of work, is just as handy as grabbing a wire feeder. Sometimes I just don't want to set it up, when stick will do
                    Very good point. I have not done any flux-core yet and I forgot about the changeover.

So an AC-only Thunderbolt is good for only the basic processes of stick welding; nothing that exotic. But it is more convenient to use than changing over for flux core.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank R View Post
                      Very good point. I have not done any flux-core yet and I forgot about the changeover.

So an AC-only Thunderbolt is good for only the basic processes of stick welding; nothing that exotic. But it is more convenient to use than changing over for flux core.
                      Trust me, its really handy to have both at your disposal

Comment

You could not of said that any better. I think what happens when people start out, is that they just think of what is ahead of them for the short term, once they get started, they will pick up skills and knowledge, hence, keep the tbolt

Comment

Now that I know that an AC/DC Thunderbolt can do more than an AC unit alone, I am going to keep my eye out for one.

Here I am looking for another welder when I started out trying to convince myself to get rid of one.

But... I really need to start practicing my welding and build a few things first.

Comment

yea one day at a time, you dont want to put pressure on your self, here is an interesting fact, " it takes as much time to become a quality welder as it does for a person to become a medical doctor", you wont learn it all at once so just take your time and enjoy what you are doing

Comment

211 and/or a Thunderbolt 225

Don't know why you'd want to get rid of the TBolt. I'm new to welding too and intentionally bought a 211 and the Hobart LX 235 which is a TBolt. My next machine will be a Diversion 180.

Other than more high end expensive machines what could I need? All three of these will fit nicely on the welding cart I'm building.
                              ==============
                              Miller 211 MVP
                              Hobart StickMate LX 235
                              Lincoln AC 225
                              CutMaster 42

Comment

My neighnor, a journeyman with modest home/hobby stuff hasnt been down to weld something in 10 yrs but once for an alum zip since he bought a 175 mig. I might keep a buzzer I already had but the new mig isw the workhorse in small shops for general fabrication and repair. The rest of the stuff makes great dust collectors.

Comment

Working...
                                X