Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

211 and/or a Thunderbolt 225

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you run into some really dirty plate you will be glad you kept the stick welder.

Comment

Well, I found a Montgomery Ward 230/140 AC/DC welder last week and picked it up. Nice clean welder with little use for its age.

Now to sell the AC only Thunderbolt.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank R View Post
        Well, I found a Montgomery Ward 230/140 AC/DC welder last week and picked it up. Nice clean welder with little use for its age.

Now to sell the AC only Thunderbolt.
        i like how this thread started out with you wanting to get rid of some equipment and now you have actually added more

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
          i like how this thread started out with you wanting to get rid of some equipment and now you have actually added more

I can stop anytime. I have the willpower. No, really, I do...

Comment

Now you can get that scratch start TIG rig you know you want. It will run on that AC/DC and give you a lot more things to learn and practice. It really is fun and useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank R View Post
              Thanks for the replies.

This one is AC only. It is an older, horizontal unit. Not like the ones shown in the owner's manuals here.

I was thinking the same thing Kevin. Is there anything a stick can do that a mig cannot? Like welding cast iron or some other specialty metals? I would hate to get rid of it only to find I could use it later with just some new rods.
              The olde horizontal Thunderbolt has copper windings. I started out with an Airco (made by Miller) in 1970. I did a lot of welding with that machine before I sold it and bought a used Model 88.

Comment

Originally posted by wb4rt View Post
                Now you can get that scratch start TIG rig you know you want. It will run on that AC/DC and give you a lot more things to learn and practice. It really is fun and useful.

You people are all enablers!!!!

I just learned about scratch-start TIG. It is pretty cool.

Comment

I bought the Hobart Stickmate AC/DC welder for my son to practice on for school and me to take over when he is done.

It is the Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC machine but without the overpriced blue paint.

That blue paint adds about $100 to the price.

Plan on adding a MM211 to the mix once I am done some research on them.

If you have to do any welding outside in the driveway, you'll learn fast why a stick welder is a good thing to have!

I tried living with a MIG welder only, but kept running to my neighbors to borrow his stick welder.

I had a huge MIG welder that was overkill so I sold that and got enough money to replace it with the Hobart Stickmate and the Millermatic 211.

Comment

Just a hobby guy here, but unless the job I'm doing is a really big one, I pull out the stick welder 99% of the time.

More fun, easiers to maneuver and set up. With 25' cables, I can weld anywhere in my driveway without having to roll the machine with me, check gas flow, make a wind break, adjust wre tension....

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.