Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

C60 vs. AWS Certs

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C60 vs. AWS Certs

Looking for thoughts on the pros and cons on getting a C60 Contractors License vs. just getting certifications. I already know about the requirements to test.

I know there are insurance requirements and other costs to maintain a CL. But if there is more work available it seems like it would be worth it.

I've had a couple guys tell me that AWS certs are enough to keep you busy.

So, any thoughts about whether it's worth it or not to pursue a C60?

In California, a contractors license simply makes you legally able to enter into a contract, on real estate or connected to real estate. As opposed to personal property. California Contractors Law applies to any work over $x00.00, done on real property. If you do work, both labor and material, over this amount (you can easily find out the limit, just visit the website),,,, and DON'T have the proper Contractors License, the customer can simply run your bill thru the shredder, and refuse to pay, you have no legal recourse since you don't have the legal requirements to enter into that contract in the first place. Illegal contract. Not enforceable. Too bad.
    Last edited by JSFAB; 10-07-2012, 01:58 PM.

Comment

JS fab Nailed it.

If you want to do field work and have legal recourse then you need a CSLB

Comment

I've had a couple guys tell me that AWS certs are enough to keep you busy
        If it was that easy everyone would run a test plate, work would come pouring thru the door?

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
          If it was that easy everyone would run a test plate, work would come pouring thru the door?
          Yeah. Wishful thinking.

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.