Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New need a welder

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New need a welder

Just got a qoute on some steel post I want for a barn. Steel would be around 2000 and the labor 10,000. Good excuse to finally buy a welder. So this would probably by the biggest job I would ever need a welder for. It would consist of 8 post of 5X5 3/8 HSS tubing with a 3/4" base plate. I would also like the ability to weld alumium and stainless steel. What would your recomendation be.

Just don't buy a 110v machine.

Comment

I think the machine I have is perfect for that job. It's the 211 Autoset.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...p?model=M00245

With a self shielded wire you'd be fine building your structure outdoors. Once you had the building up and you could get indoors you can set up the machine for both aluminium and stainless. Aluminum would require an optional gun and both would require a shield gas, so put up your buliding first. The machine requires 25A @ 220V using a 6-50 connection. It will run on 110 but not nearly as well.

Comment

3/8" is max for the MM211 and would probably stress the little machine on the Barn project as well as hitting duty cycle quickly.

best bang for the $ is the Hobart Ironman 230

$2000.00 includes shipping and 20' Spool gun

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...=%7Bkeyword%7D

Comment

3/8" is max for the MM211

on the Barn project you'll hit the duty cycle way too soon.

Look at the Hobart Ironman 230 with spoolgun at Northern Tool.

I'd include a link but the post gets delayed because of the link

Comment

The HSS is 3/8".
            That means a 3/8" fillet to the 3/4" plate if I am reading that correctly.
            And either 3/8" fillets or grooves between HSS pieces.
            There won't be any 3/4" welds.
            Not that I even believe in those thickness ratings anyway.
            Steel is steel. If you need more weld you run more passes.
            The only rating that matters is amperage and duty cycle.
            Thickness is irrelevant.

The OP says this is the biggest task by far that he'll ever use it for and since he needed an excuse to buy a welder I think it's safe to say this building is not a paying job so it won't be go-go-go-go-go! Rather something he will do in spare time. The duty cycle will likely be fine too as long as he runs it on 220, uses small wire and doesn't treat the task as thought he's being paid by the inch.

I've built bigger stuff with smaller equipment and it's still standing. The 211 is plenty big enough.

Comment

Since you apparently don't really need a welder machine for the long run, why don't you just rent say a 300 amp engine drive

Comment

New need a welder

I'd get a Syncrowave 200. SMAW the tube and now you have a welder for tig welding aluminum and stainless steel later. Down side is its not portable. I'd rather stick weld with a low amp welder than mig with low amp welder. Just my .02
                Kevin

Comment

Have you ever welded before? We need to know your skill level to give any advice.
                  Last edited by Cgotto6; 10-05-2012, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Agreed with the 211.I only hit my temp overload after a 6' fillet weld on 3/16 using 035. New with full tank ran me $1,100. Spool gun works pretty good too. I'm definitely envious of your project! Good luck!

Comment

Ok so I think there is a lot more to this than the op suggests. 8 posts of 5x5 tube with 3/4" base plates & the labor is $10 grand? Something doesn't sound right.

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post
                        Ok so I think there is a lot more to this than the op suggests. 8 posts of 5x5 tube with 3/4" base plates & the labor is $10 grand? Something doesn't sound right.
                        Well, that doesn't sound like a whole building to me. Maybe that was just the heaviest steel involved in his project and he didn't mention the rest because all he's looking for is how big a machine he needs.

I dunno..... who knows? He doesn't appear to be coming back to monitor his thread.

Comment

"Not that I even believe in those thickness ratings anyway.
                          Steel is steel. If you need more weld you run more passes.
                          The only rating that matters is amperage and duty cycle.
                          Thickness is irrelevant."

Spoken like a true idiot! Be sure to let all the pro welders know that they didn't need to spend 10-20K n their machines to build all those bridges/pipelines/skyscrapers/etc, a little MM211 would work just fine, just run more passes.

Comment

Spoken like a true idiot! Be sure to let all the pro welders know that they didn't need to spend 10-20K n their machines to build all those bridges/pipelines/skyscrapers/etc, a little MM211 would work just fine, just run more passes.[/QUOTE]

Bit strong, but yes multi pass are no substitution for volts that you need for penetration,
                            Last edited by go2building; 10-06-2012, 07:48 PM.

Comment

My vote is a engine drive rental you can rent a diesel drive machine for $250 a week I would get everything layed out and ready rent it burn it together and take it back. Even at a month for $650 you are still ahead of the game. If your biggest project is going tobe this you can still have get the rental and then buy your self a small mig welder. I would must rather be draging leads around then carrying a 60 pound mig welder with a small duty cycle.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.