Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

X-mode helmet

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-mode helmet

I just bought one of Millers new Elite Auto darkening helmets. I have a 180 mig that I use in the shop for repairs. I have read the instructions several times and still don't understand X-Mode. I read on another forum where a guy always set his helmet on X-mode when welding?????
    Thanks

I always use X mode when using that hood too. The sensor somehow senses the arc electromagnetically. Supposedly it's good for low-amp tigging.

I like my Digital Elite, but when I really want to see clearly what's going on, nothing beats a conventional (non autodark) hood.

Comment

Guess I just need to try X-mode and see if it works for me. I just wanted to make sure it won't hurt anything.
      Last edited by Gary Max; 10-04-2012, 12:35 PM.

Comment

The X mode is for welding outside so it doesn't darken with sunlight unless you look at the sun. It only gets dark when welding otherwise it stays as a green tint

Comment

I joined this site whit the hopes of having someone from Miller---ie---expert chime in with the pros and cons of this.
          I spent the big bucks on the Elite Helment because my eye's still work and I really want to keep the that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Max View Post
            I joined this site whit the hopes of having someone from Miller---ie---expert chime in with the pros and cons of this.
            I spent the big bucks on the Elite Helment because my eye's still work and I really want to keep the that way.
            The Miller guys chime in from time to time on serious problems or customer service issues.

Comment

X-mode helmet

Its great for out of position welding where u may not be in direct flash of the arc to trigger the sensors.

The technology is on the helmet to circumvent the sensors and instead trigger the helmet by the pull of the trigger or the press of the pedal.

I use xmode when tigging. No particular reason just do. Never get flashed

Comment

Originally posted by kvwall View Post
                The Miller guys chime in from time to time on serious problems or customer service issues.

I spent $2,500.00 bucks last month buying new Miller welding tools and would think using the helmet safely would fall under serious customer service.

Comment

In weld mode the helmet relys on the sensors on the front of the helmet to detect the arc. In X-mode the helmet senses the magnetic field created by the welding arc and doesn't rely of the sensors to see the arc. When using low amp tig or welding under bright lights are two examples of were the X-mode would be beneficial. It is different modes for different applications.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Max View Post
                    I spent $2,500.00 bucks last month buying new Miller welding tools and would think using the helmet safely would fall under serious customer service.
                    Your original post states that you don't understand x-mode. You call that a serious customer service issue?

Comment

I may be wrong but I thought Miller had this site more for marketing than for trouble shooting,with that said If you call Miller in Appleton Wisconsin and tell the ladies you need help with your helmet they will get you to someone.
                      I have spent 20yrs in retail and have dealt with a LOT of vendors and have NEVER come across a company like Miller Electric....bar none!
                      I have never hung up the phone wondering why I called or "wow are they having a bad day".

I have not had the time to try my helmet in X mode but will as soon as possible because it sounds like a great function.

Comment

Thanks Mike---- I called them and found the info I needed.

Comment

X mode is used when you are wielding outdoors. The auto-sensor glasses change itself to the X mode as soon as it detects the UV rays and the glass becomes extra dark. The similar mode in indoors gives an extra shady view which can obstruct the clarity while wielding.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.