Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller Bobcat Three Phase Motor Run Speed Issues

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Bobcat Three Phase Motor Run Speed Issues

I have a Bobcat Three Phase with a Kohler CH20s engine. I am having an issue where the motor is running way too fast. I have gone through the steps of adjusting the governor and adjusting the run speed as prescribed in the manual with no success. I can manual move the governor arm over and drop the rpms to acceptable levels but it does not move on its on. My thoughts are it may be the internal portion of the governor that is not operational.

However, in the run-idle position, the motors does not come down to idle position without manually moving the governor arm.

Its running at such a high speed it has melted the wire going to the large R2 resistor mounted on the upright.

Any trouble shooting ideas before I tear into the motor?

Did you not adjust the adjuster arm left of the exhaust, with the 3/8" nut and lock nut. Or did you move the govenor spring which is definately a no, no...

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
      Did you not adjust the adjuster arm left of the exhaust, with the 3/8" nut and lock nut. Or did you move the govenor spring which is definately a no, no...
      I adjusted the nut and locknut. I did not move the govenor spring from the #3 hole in the arm. I actually adjusted the nut so loose there was no tension on the governor spring at all, with still no decrease in engine speed.

Comment

OK, I guess you'll have to remove the engine. Engine removal for you should take all day
        Last edited by cruizer; 10-04-2012, 02:39 PM. Reason: wrong directions

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm a little confused on one part. I'm unsure if the shaft is threaded or not. My serial number is LE114xxx. Is there a range of serial numbers where the shaft is tapered and will pop off as you describe?
          The below link suggests that from Serial No. LE294171 to present it is a threaded shaft.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Kohl.../353938134.pdf

The owners manual for my Serial number range appears to show a threaded shaft. Is there an easy way to identify the shaft type before I start. I don't want to be prying on the stator housing to hard trying to pop it off, if its a threaded shaft.

Comment

I suppose you could be correct, the TB and such just pop off, apparently yours doesn't, so lucky you! Thats alotta work!
            Last edited by cruizer; 10-04-2012, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Does anyone know the range of serial numbers where the Kohler shaft is tapered or threaded?

Comment

Going to have to give up that full SN if you expect much help.

Comment

Originally posted by duaneb55 View Post
                  Going to have to give up that full SN if you expect much help.
                  Sure.....Serial #LE114389

Comment

Yep, follow the disassembly instructions for that machine, you'll have to remove the generator and engine together. doesn't look terribly hard though.

Comment

Pretty easy. Takes about 30 minutes.

1) Remove brushes/brush holder.
                      2) Unbolt engine from frame and unhook harness, battery cables and fuel line.
                      3) Remove (4) bolts holding stator halves together.
                      4) Pull engine, rotor and front half of stator housing as a unit from back half of stator housing.
                      5) Seperate rotor from engine using proper wrench on flats of rotor shaft on bearing end. A sharp strike or two on the wrench with a good sized hammer should break the threads loose. Turns off the crankshaft in CCW direction. If stuborn and won't break free, you'll likely have to hold the engine flywheel while stiking the wrench.
                      Last edited by duaneb55; 10-06-2012, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duaneb55 View Post
                        Pretty easy. Takes about 30 minutes.

1) Remove brushes/brush holder.
                        2) Unbolt engine from frame and unhook harness, battery cables and fuel line.
                        3) Remove (4) bolts holding stator halves together.
                        4) Pull engine, rotor and front half of stator housing as a unit from back half of stator housing.
                        5) Seperate rotor from engine using proper wrench on flats of rotor shaft on bearing end. A sharp strike or two on the wrench with a good sized hammer should break the threads loose. Turns off the crankshaft in CCW direction. If stuborn and won't break free, you'll likely have to hold the engine flywheel while stiking the wrench.
                        Worked on the Bobcat this weekend. These directions worked like a champ, had the motor on the bench in less than an hour. Turns on the governor was trashed. Replaced the governor and bolted everything back together and shes back to humming along...however now I've got another issue. It does not want to come down from run speed in the run/idle position. Is there an procedure for testing the idle solenoid?

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.