Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

need advice on welding a cast iorn stove leg

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice on welding a cast iorn stove leg

Have a cast iorn stove leg that has a chunk broken out. Any recomendations? Have a Millermatic 210, a Syncrowave 180 and a dynastey 200 DX. Can post some pictures tommorrow if it will help.
    Harold

I don't know if you can still get it but there used to be a such thing as a nickle SMAW electrode for welding black cast iron. Seems to me I used to hear that it had hit-or-miss results usually due to cracking. Preheat is critical. Haven't heard anybody mention it in years. Most people braze cast iron with brass. There are youtube vids out there showing how it's done. You can also fusion weld cast iron with a gas torch and that's pretty much the best method but it's also the slowest as you have to weld it like a conventional weld with bevel prep and a lot of material deposit and a lot of powdered flux you dip the iron filler rod into periodically. It's hot, hot, hot and slooooooow.

Comment

I'd just braze it with a O/A torch and then paint it to cover the repair.

Comment

I agree, Braze it.

Comment

Get some Crown Alloys 44-30 .035 mig wire for cast iron and use your MM210. Any gas CO2, 75/25 or Argon will work well with it. Then you will have some wire left for the next job ...Bob

Comment

I would preheat, use a nickle rod then cool slowly- like wrap with insulation.

Comment

Good nickel welding rod is not available anymore. Brazing with brass will work, but brazing with bronze on cast-iron is the best. I use a nickel bronze rod made by Harris. We also use bronze to buildup the drive gears on Steam Tractors, and have never had a problem with a failure, unlike when others use an arc welder.

Comment

This ones easy braze it. Pre-heat around 200f. Wells with a nickle rod 55. Wrap with insulation tightly and let it cool over night. Don't peek. If you hear it crack start over. Really simple just time consuming. Good luck. ARE YOU SURE ITS CAST IRON ANS NOT CAST STEEL. THERES A BIG DIFFERENCE WHEN WELDING. CAST STEEL BEING MUCH EASIER.

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                  Get some Crown Alloys 44-30 .035 mig wire for cast iron and use your MM210. Any gas CO2, 75/25 or Argon will work well with it. Then you will have some wire left for the next job ...Bob
                  I would have to agree with Bob. Since you have a MM210 the easiest fix would be to mig it with Crown Alloys 44-33. Bob has had good success with this process in the past. Post some pictures before and after.
                  Good luck,
                  Nick

Comment

Nickel welding rod is readily available. Use a 99 nickel rod. If it is made of grey iron, you're chances of success are good if you follow a couple basic rules. Number 1 is: if you do not have to restrain the weldment during welding, Don't, you will be better off. The primary reason for cracking is weld shrinkage. V-groove one side of the joint at least 75% and only weld one side. Position the broken piece so that as you are welding it, the weld shrinkage will pull it into the correct position. Preheat to at least 600 deg. weld an inch at a time and keep interpass temp at 600deg. Then cool very slowly. Post some pics.
                    Last edited by jpence38; 10-03-2012, 08:04 PM.

Comment

need advice on welding a cast iorn stove leg

I have had good success with cast iron repairs using TIG with silicon bronze. It doesn't give you a good color match but welds very easily.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]_reverse[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]_each[/ATTACH]
                        Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                        Final recieved the crown royal 44-30 pricey but worth it, next question; can this be used to weld cast iron to wrought iron or do i need to cut up a old cast iron frying pan
                        Harold PS hopefully I posted a few pictures

Comment

Wow, you're still dikking with this a month later? It's a 5 minute job with some SiB and a torch.

Comment

Ac 7018 straight polarity

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.