Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions please - stick welder

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions please - stick welder

Hey all,

Your thoughts please - beginner learning stick. This in craigslist:

Hobart Stickmate LX235 ac/dc includes helmet, brush, hammer, some rods. Mainly interested in the unit. Not sure if it's a "160" but suspect it is. I need to get the model I guess to get a gauge for which one/retail cost.

But the unit - any opinions - what would you pay used? in northern jersey.
    thx,
    john

I just bought 1 for the dc and I paid 500 new. just depends on how much it was used and how old it is... Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Diversion180beads View Post
      I just bought 1 for the dc and I paid 500 new. just depends on how much it was used and how old it is... Good luck
      Thanks. I think it's 20 or 30 hrs...no more. I think I may pull the trigger on this...thx.

Comment

The Hobart and the Miller Thunderbolt are the exact same welder except for color and decals. Great welders with very little that can go wrong with them. They run around 500.00 to 600.00 new. I got lucky recently and scored a like new Miller AC/DC on Craigslist for $150.00 but that's not the norm. If you can get it for $300.00 or less that would be a good deal. Make sure it's an AC/DC unit, I wouldn't waste money on an AC only welder.

Comment

Originally posted by ihctractor View Post
          The Hobart and the Miller Thunderbolt are the exact same welder except for color and decals. Great welders with very little that can go wrong with them. They run around 500.00 to 600.00 new. I got lucky recently and scored a like new Miller AC/DC on Craigslist for $150.00 but that's not the norm. If you can get it for $300.00 or less that would be a good deal. Make sure it's an AC/DC unit, I wouldn't waste money on an AC only welder.
          Thanks. Ad says ac/dc unit. $400 is the lowest he'll go. comes with helmet, gloves, some sticks, chipping hammer and brush...could gloves/helmet for maybe....$40 as I don't need em...and some 25' cord to use with it.....so...I don't know. I do know he wouldn't go down to $300 though......was going to go for it...now back in the air! lol

Comment

If it's like new, local and you were going to buy a new one soon anyway then $400.00 is still a decent price, however if your not in a hurry you could probably save some money if you keep checking Craigslist and wait for another one to come along. Having said that, these welders never break and people seldom part with them, so the wait time or the travel time to get one may be quite long. It's all about how bad you want it and how soon.

While your looking don't discount the Lincoln AC/DC tombstone welders. Not as nice as a Miller/Hobart but still a heck of a good welder and they sell used for cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by ihctractor View Post
              While your looking don't discount the Lincoln AC/DC tombstone welders. Not as nice as a Miller/Hobart but still a heck of a good welder and they sell used for cheap.
              Or even look at the older Miller AC/DC Thunderbolts with the squared off metal case. Great welder....Bob

Comment

We have old lincoln arc welders at my school about 10 of them and they have been going on 20 years now #marshfield metal tech

Comment

I hv a older big Lincoln A/C D/C welder
                  TM 500. 500 amp. Welds great. I'm 2nd owner. I used it for carbon arc but just don't use much anymore and could really use the space. I'd sell it for $300.00 I'm in western Pa.

Comment

Just wait

I'd wait. He will come down when no one buys it in a month. I watch overpriced units sit on CL forever.

fWIW, I'm on LI and have a Lincoln Idealarc 250 with leads I wanna part with. Runs perfectly.

AC/DC 300/250 unit.
                    Last edited by Drf255; 09-28-2012, 04:56 AM.

Comment

With any transformer unit they are power hungry. Make sure you have the input power to run whatever you buy. For instance a Lincoln tombstone or a Miller/Hobart buzz box needs 50 amps of 230v to run properly. Any larger machines require more input power. These buzz boxes will usually give you outputs of 225 amps ac & 125 amps dc.

I thought you wanted a mig?

Comment

Just looked at this machine listed. From the picture it looks like an ac only unit. See the selector switch has two positions. I beleive the ac/dc unit has four positions. You can look at Tractor Supplys web site as they sell these & have good pics of them. I may be wrong but you need to clarify this. TSC has it for $500 ac/dc & $319 for ac only.

Comment

Just looked again at the pics comparing them to the ones at Tractor Supply & it definatly looks like an ac only machine.

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post

I thought you wanted a mig?
                            Great info Mic. This is what I was unable to glean from the sale pages of the unit. And of course - I want one of everything....just like cars, motorcycles, tools...you name it! But seriously - I do still want/am getting a MIG unit. An it's gonna be the MM211...eventually. I would like a small stick to continue practicing with too - using a stick in my hobby class now on instructor's encouragement to move to that and actually really dig it. Seems harder to me to control but getting better and hope that practice on that will reap benefits on MIG control. So with the end goal going to be a MIG unit - if I can slide in a cheap, dependable stick box too.....I just put another horse in my stable! lol (I got issues.)

And thanks to everyone else's input. I think you all are right - I'm going to hold onto my cash letting the guy know that if/when he comes down to say, $275 or so to call me.......

Comment

Do not buy an ac only machine. You will regret it. Get an ac/dc unit only.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.